Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't make myself finish a quilt I didn't want to make. Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-make-myself-finish-quilt-i-didnt-want-make-help-t48447.html)

sbeddingfield 06-05-2010 06:45 AM

My daughter's best friend had a baby. My daughter wanted me to make her a quilt and I said I would. Then my daughter says she wants me to make a puff - or biscuit - quilt. I wanted to make her a quilt that really looks like a quilt. I am about 1/2 finished and just can't make myself move on. But it is now the first day of summer for me - I teach - and I have other projects that I want to do but know I will feel guilty if I don't get this one finished.
I need HELP.
Thanks,
Scherrie

Shelley 06-05-2010 06:48 AM

If your daughter wants to make and give a biscuit quilt, let her. This sounds like 'YOUR' gift. You get to do what you want. Don't let her mess with your 'artistic harmony'.

gaigai 06-05-2010 06:57 AM

I agree, this quilt wouldn't be a gift from your daughter, it would be from you. Tell your daughter you just can't do it, that you hate making this quilt. Offer to show her how to make it herself. If she balks, tell her to go out and buy one, or look on ebay, but life is too short.

RedGarnet222 06-05-2010 07:09 AM

I would ask your daughter to come and help you to make it. There aren't all that many opportunities to get together like this one. Sewing and talking are really fun days. Sew take a break and eat lunch, sew and stuff some more.

If that isn't possible, allow yourself a half an hour on it at a time. ( I do this with straightening the garage all the time) At least you will be working on it and not feel guilty about sewing something else. I do BOM block quilts and it really is a nice option to making it all at once, start to finish.

littlehud 06-05-2010 07:56 AM

I like the idea of having DD help finish it. Maybe after a few lessons you can turn it over to her to finish.

geckogirl 06-05-2010 08:23 AM

Anytime my siblings and I have asked my mom to do something for me we have let her have her artistic reign OR we have been made to help. That was always the difference in projects :-) If she designed it and she made it then it ended up being from her but if it was something WE came up with the design then she would help us with it.

Good luck :-)

gollytwo 06-05-2010 08:27 AM

Make what you want to make.
Turn the biscuit stuff over to your daughter to finish it and give it herself.

BellaBoo 06-05-2010 08:28 AM

I promised to make a quilt for someone and once started I hated it. I had to make myself sit down and get it finished because I couldn't work on any other quilt with that hanging over my head. I know how you feel. I swore I'd never promise to make a quilt not of my choosing again.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-05-2010 08:44 AM

I absolutely agree with Shelley and Gaigai You finally have some time for yourself from teaching. It's your time to have fun :)

lots2do 06-05-2010 09:03 AM

Happy summer! Mine starts on the 22nd. (I teach, too).
Hope you find a way to assert yourself gently.