Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cathedral Window Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cathedral-window-blocks-t42083.html)

pollyjvan9 04-08-2010 04:43 AM

I have several cathedral window pillows that my mother and I made in the 1980's. We both used them on our beds. They are all different colors of gingham checks and still look like new. I would like to make them into a throw or a baby quilt. Do any of you have any suggestions. I haven't taken the ruffles off of them yet, either so I do have some original fabric I could use in some manner.

Would appreciate any ideas your wonderfully creative minds can come up with.

Jingle 04-08-2010 04:45 AM

Look in the tutorial section, Eddie did a tute on cathedral windows, see if this helps.

craftybear 04-08-2010 04:49 AM

could you make a wallhanging from them and put her picture in the middle

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have several cathedral window pillows that my mother and I made in the 1980's. We both used them on our beds. They are all different colors of gingham checks and still look like new. I would like to make them into a throw or a baby quilt. Do any of you have any suggestions. I haven't taken the ruffles off of them yet, either so I do have some original fabric I could use in some manner.

Would appreciate any ideas your wonderfully creative minds can come up with.

pollyjvan9 04-08-2010 06:20 AM

Craftybear, only 2 responses but both great. I like your idea for a wallhanging and I have already found the photo of my Mother and myself for the center square. Thanks a bunch.

littlehud 04-09-2010 07:14 AM

I love the idea of a wall hanging. Please post a pic when you do it. What a great heirloom. Mom and daughter both involved in the making of the wall hanging.

Quilter7x 04-21-2010 06:21 AM

Have you decided what to do with the Cathedral Windows yet? I really like the idea of a wall hanging with your mom's picture in the middle. Maybe even put a picture of you both, since she passed the quilting tradition down to you.

marsye 04-21-2010 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My mother and I have made CW for years. I now sell the kits and customers have made potholders, tote bags, tablerunners, table toppers and even vest out of them. :thumbup:

sztreasures 04-21-2010 06:34 AM

I have been wanting to try CW forever! I love the totes! Do you do yours by hand or by machine? Sue in PA (A lurker until now!)

marsye 04-21-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by sztreasures
I have been wanting to try CW forever! I love the totes! Do you do yours by hand or by machine? Sue in PA (A lurker until now!)

We do the first stage by machine (folding in half and sew the edges) and then the rest by hand.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-22-2010 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
Craftybear, only 2 responses but both great. I like your idea for a wallhanging and I have already found the photo of my Mother and myself for the center square. Thanks a bunch.

that sounds like it will be beautiful, be sure to show us some pics.