Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cathedral Window-Join the Journey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cathedral-window-join-journey-t133552.html)

TeresaPendino 06-28-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen
I was given several nice panels and someone suggested I do CW but when I looked at a pattern I was scared of it!

Come on the journey with us! I have definitely felt that way until I found this method. Try one block with us and see what you think. If you are happy with the method and results, the possibilities are endless! We would be glad to have you! :)

TeresaPendino 06-29-2011 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am reposting the link I used to learn this because I think her pictures are much clearer to understand in her folding process.
http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html

Tip: I do not use the 9" template b/c I find it difficult but feel free if you find it easier. I use a 1/4" seam gauge or ruler and press as I go down each side.
If someone has an easier/more accurate way to do this please let us know :)

Tip: Make sure you use steam through the whole process to better set your folds.

Fold 1: 1/4" seam allowance all the way around your 9.5" squares

1/4 seam allowance all the way around 9.5 square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218537[/ATTACH]

TeresaPendino 06-29-2011 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fold 2: With seam allowances to the ceiling, fold in half for a guide crease. Then open back up so that seam allowances are towards the ceiling again.

Fold 3: Bring all 4 corners to the center. Press with steam. (seam allowances should not be visible now)

All 4 corners to the center
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218546[/ATTACH]

TeresaPendino 06-29-2011 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fold 4: Fold all 4 of these corners to the center. Press with steam. (Your block should be 4.5" now)

Do these folds to all 4 of your 9.5" squares.

Tip: Re-press and steam as you go to maintain the crispness of the folds. This will help to keep things straight.

If things still aren't clear, feel free to PM me or ask here on the thread :)

Tomorrow, I will go over putting these 4 blocks together. In the photo below, they are just laying side by side, they are not sewn together.

4 (4.5 squares)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218550[/ATTACH]

TeresaPendino 06-30-2011 10:38 AM

Hello to everyone! Checking in to see how everyone is doing so far. Let's do "roll call" (giggle) I am anxious to hear what fabrics you have chosen and if you are finding the "how to's" easy to understand at this point. We have a lot of silent readers that have sent me PMs who tell me they are following along. They are just as excited to see what all of us come up with.

Most of us have busy busy lives so that is another reason I have taken this tutorial slow. I plan to post all of the steps to this on my blog once we get done here. This way you will be able to view/print in order if you would like for later reference. Being new to these boards, I probably should have posted this thread under "tutorials" instead of "main"... Ooops :) Actually the "how to" part was an after thought being I was asked by several in a PM. I was happy to oblige. :)

I'm trying to get my wife/mommy things done so I can come play, lol. Next steps and pictures will be posted this evening (hopefully!).

TeresaPendino 06-30-2011 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As promised, here I am. I will forewarn you that I was having issues w/my machine but went ahead and got the shots in case any have been waiting. I am very critical of what my end product looks like so not sure this one will be a keeper. We will see.

Pin & Sew 1: Put 2 blocks side by side, take the wing from each one that are next to each other & pin. Do the same for the next 2 blocks.

Lift them up & lay back down to where it looks like 2 arrows laying there.

Sew together as you follow the fold line on the wings that are pointed outward. This can be done by machine or hand.

Please let me know if this doesn't make since.

1st wing pin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219215[/ATTACH]

1st wing sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219216[/ATTACH]

TeresaPendino 06-30-2011 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Once sewn together. Remove pins, open them back up, finger pressing open what you just sewed. Lay back together like it was a finished block.

Pin and Sew 2: Do the remaining inner wings the same as above. Once pinned, lay them as to have 2 arrows. Sew down both arrows following the fold line. (machine or hand)

See photos for better understanding. Again, feel free to PM me or ask here on the thread if these instructions are not clear.

2nd Wing Pin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219217[/ATTACH]

2nd Wing Sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219218[/ATTACH]

TeresaPendino 06-30-2011 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Remove pins & open these back up, finger pressing open what you just sewed. All 4 of your squares should be connected at this point. Press with steam. Pin your outside corners as shown in the photo.

I hope to get started on the "windows" tomorrow for you. Apologies for spreading this out time wise. I am having to fit my play time in my busy schedule. Until then, Happy Sewing :)

Press
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219221[/ATTACH]

TeresaPendino 07-01-2011 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Your 4 corners should be pinned at this point. You should have 4 "window panes" in the center.
Tack & Pin Some of your corners on your panes will be loose.

1.Tack these loose corners down.

2.Place your print squares in the center of each pane & pin.

3.On each side of a print, fold the pane over & pin all the way around your print square. Pinning only through the part you folded over your print. The pane will taper itself at the corners. (See photo) Remove the initial center pin once you have all 4 sides of the panes pinned.

4. Do your stitching at the edge of your pane (solid) all the way around your print... only going through the layer that you pinned to your print & your print. (See photo for clarification)

Your block is complete. Make more blocks just like this one. Take out the block corner pins & attach in the same manner that you attached the 4 initial 4.5" blocks. Add print the same way as the initial blocks to create more "windows"

I hope you have found this easy. If you have any problems, feel free to ask. There are other great tutorials & different methods to do this on the boards. I am a beginner, as you can see from my photos, but I still felt accomplished. :) The more that I do, the better they will look I'm sure. As I might have mentioned earlier, I was a bit reluctant to do this tutorial. There are so many talented & knowledgable people here. Their work looks like perfection in my opinion. I just wanted to show other beginners that a fellow beginner can do this.:)

Tack & PIn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219594[/ATTACH]

Finished CW block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219595[/ATTACH]

sarahrachel 07-01-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by blahel
what a great idea as I have been thinking of making a cathedral window for a while...my question would be this: I would like to make a handbag (or purse I think you call it) and use the cathedral window blocks in it. Would denim be too heavy a material to sew through? I have a blue batik with fish on it which I know my friend would love but have nothing else but denim to go with it.

I'm pretty sure it would be too heavy as well, but I found this pattern which would give you the CW look and is made from jeans. I started cutting pieces for this but ran out of jeans and sewing machine needles. I want to do this so I'll get back to it eventually!

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html