Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cathedral Window-Join the Journey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cathedral-window-join-journey-t133552.html)

redkimba 07-17-2011 04:13 PM

I do have a goal to sew on of these, but at the moment I have my hands full with finishing quilts and making baby stuff for my niece.

I will have to get in on one of the future rounds, but I look forward to seeing everyone's efforts. :)

sarahrachel 07-17-2011 04:21 PM

Is it hard by hand?? I'm thinking of making 3 for a shoulder wrap thing for my uncle who's a steelers fan, and the diamonds I think would be perfect. Are you still sewing them like you did on the machine or are you doing it the traditional way?

TeresaPendino 07-17-2011 04:29 PM

@redkimba Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I have so many projects I need to work on, too. :)

@sarahrachel Being I need more machine needles, I started doing all of it by hand. In my opinion, I don't think it's hard, just more time consuming. I love your idea! Would love to see it if you decide to make it!

At this point, I am wondering if I need to be doubling this thread when putting the blocks together. It is a lot of work for it to end up not being strong enough. I live an hour away from my nearest place to get the thread I use. So I don't want to double thread if I don't need to.

sarahrachel 07-17-2011 05:52 PM

I hand quilted a quilt already and I only used a single thread, using the same thread you are. I don't think you'd need to double up as it's a thicker thread. And I think I might go through with it as I'd only need to make 3 blocks, and I'm in the same boat as you, but I think my machine broke (yikes!) and as it's a Bernina, I think it'll be expensive to fix. Good luck and I know it'll look pretty when you're done!

Fraew 08-31-2011 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaPendino
Please forgive the photo quality. Bad lighting and I wasn't using my good camera. I also cropped too much on the left, but those are whole windows, too. I was trying to hurry up and get it done before company arrived. Just wanted to give you an idea of how it looks when you put the blocks together.

Happy Quilting to you all :)

Beautiful!!! So tempted to jump right in but I must finish at least 1 more UFO before I start this one. Would love to see the latest pictures and others from the group. Thanks

TeresaPendino 09-01-2011 08:32 AM

@Fraew Thank you! Sad to say I have only gotten 3 (4 block) units done, almost ready to put the 4th together. The domino effect has hindered my progress from my A/C being out in this part of the house for 2 weeks, washing machine being out for 2 weeks (part finally came in today!), super busy trying to get my boys back into school and my oldest situated in college. Oh, and let's not forget my sewing machine has issues, lol. Have decided to hand sew all of it so the progress will be slower. I am shooting for either this weekend or Monday to get back to it.

Like you, I would love to see what anyone else has come up with!

TeresaPendino 10-08-2011 12:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I thought I would share my progress, as well as, get your layout opinion. If I do the entire thing with blue print windows, it is hard on my eyes; too busy for me. So my thinking was to break it up and put Muslin in some windows while still using the contrasting thread color for interest. In this photo, the windows aren't completely finished. I would like your opinion before I "commit" myself to this idea. Please keep in mind, this is far from perfection. I am having trouble getting crisp corners on my windows even though I am constantly pressing as I go. I have more blocks done that I haven't added. (24 done all together).
This photo is 4 (4-block units). I thank each and every one of you in advance for your input!

4 (4 Block Units) Together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267946[/ATTACH]

happymrs 10-08-2011 12:27 PM

My favorite quilt design, will have to try some blocks & see how I like your methods!

Fraew 10-08-2011 01:01 PM

It looks beautiful as is or all blue windows. I am no help at all and would prefer all blue but if it''s too busy up close then yes break it up.

stormatsea45 10-09-2011 12:24 PM

I think it is beautiful. Keep up the good work. :thumbup: