Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chair-sit-when-sewing-quilting-t196131.html)

4dogs 07-29-2012 12:23 PM

CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

I would like to ask a question............what is the best kind of a chair to use, for sitting at the machine? I have tried several and not happy with any of them yet. Firs, I had a computer type desk chair (with arms)...not comfortalbe for sewing; then I tried an office waiting room type chair (4 legs, no rocking) and that was kinda ok, but the seat "sags" after a while..........now I have an old, rolling, with arms, chair (goodwill find) and that isnt very comfortable either. So what works best? I have thought of getting a thick piece of foam and making a "pillow seat" to put in it.......what do you use?

gotta-sew 07-29-2012 12:33 PM

Koala, seat is adjustable....up and down. Back is adjustable, up, down and reclines some. Made for sewers.

bearisgray 07-29-2012 12:38 PM

I like the armless secretarial type chair that rolls and the back and seat are adjustable. Make sure you get one with 5 legs/casters instead of only 4. Much less tippy.

mpspeedy 07-29-2012 12:43 PM

I purchased an armed office chair from either Staples or Office Depot. I love it because it adjusts up and down, rolls and tilts backwards if I want to lean. I think I paid less than $100 for it. I don't know how I ever sewed without it. It is one of the worst things about going on a retreat. I can't take my chair as it won't fit in my car. Some of the other girls who had vans etc. were able to bring their chairs.

Jan in VA 07-29-2012 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
Jan in VA

Mine is green.

Tartan 07-29-2012 12:43 PM

I have a rolling adjustable office chair. I have added one of the mesh back rests from the $ store. It keeps my back from sweating and helps keep my lower back more comfortable.

dunster 07-29-2012 01:00 PM

Is it possible that it's not the chair, but the position of the sewing machine that is causing you discomfort? I find it very difficult to sew without having my machine recessed into the table, with a big completely flat surface all around it. If your machine is too high, or too low, that could be the real issue, rather than the chair.

QuiltE 07-29-2012 01:07 PM

ITA with Dunster ... consider the ergonomics of your setup.

Everything should be at 90° angles ... back to legs at the hips, legs at the knees, elbows 90 ° with arms on the sewing surface without shrugging/raising shoulders.

I use a rolling adjustable rolling draftsman's chair including adjustable arms ... it's lowest starts at the highest of a typical office chair.
When I am straight sewing, I work at one height ... and I raise it up a tad when I am FMQ or SITD quilting.

And when I got to sewing classes, most the ergnomics are horrible and I could not last a day ... so I take along chair pads to get my chair to a better height, or sit with two chairs stacked.

mucky 07-29-2012 03:43 PM

I have an ancient ergonomic chair without back or sides and is on a rocker bottom. Very comfortable. I have also seen the ergonomic chair that you sit on a huge ball. My friend has the big ball ergonomic chair that she just loves.

kathyd 07-29-2012 04:24 PM

Through posts on the board I found a YouTube video from Marguerita McManus about creating an ergonomically correct sewing table. I made mine about 3 months ago and it works great. Not pretty to look at but I don't have back and neck problems either. I also have a secretarial chair without arms and the adjustable seat and back. Try a Google search "ergonomic sewing table height".
Good luck.
kathyd