Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Changing colors on PE-770 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/changing-colors-pe-770-a-t213027.html)

texas8823 02-05-2013 07:21 AM

Changing colors on PE-770

I have downloaded some awesome designs that would make such a pretty quilt but I'm not very savvy when it comes to my Brother PE-770. I have only done designs in one color because I dont' know how to change color in the middle of stitching a design. Unfortunately, the manual isn't much help and after much searching online I was hoping that someone here would have the answer.

mermaid 02-05-2013 08:14 AM

Your designs should tell the machine to stop after a color, so you can change the thread to the next color. Your machine should have a readout showing the next color number to thread with. Just re-thread and hit the start button again. Oh, don't be afraid..you can stop the machine anytime, hit the thread cutter and thread up with a new color. But as said--the designs are digitized to stop the machine & cut the thread between color changes. Show us how it goes.

texas8823 02-05-2013 08:37 AM

Thanks for the reply mermaid. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

romanojg 02-05-2013 08:58 AM

Most of the time you'll change the color when the machine tells you too. That also depends on the design; some have stitch down lines and it'll have a color change stop for that too. Those are normally where you do the first color but it's done on the stabilizer so that you can see where to lay the fabric down (when it isnt' hooped w/stabilizer) at and then it'll stitch the first color. I normally load the color that I want to go first and use it for both of these.

Then if you are doing an applique you'll get a color change after a stitch down so that you know where to place the applique fabric and then it'll stitch down one time to hold fabric in place, show a color change and at this one it's just so that you can trim the fabric down and then it'll go over the stitch down again and normally do a satin stitch to finish it off. This is where it's really important to download your color sheet if you can and any instructions. You don't have to change the color each time when it's just prompting you to take the next step in either laying fabric down or trimming the fabric.

I have software that tells me what each thing is so that helps alot. Do you have any LQS or a sew and vac that has classes. I know that my Viking store will let any machine into our embrodiery class and so does the sew n vac even though they sell mostly Brother.

texas8823 02-05-2013 09:15 AM

We don't have any sew and vac stores here, but you're right. I could definitely use some lessons. I will check with LQS to see if they offer any. Thanks!!!

romanojg 02-05-2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by texas8823 (Post 5840135)
We don't have any sew and vac stores here, but you're right. I could definitely use some lessons. I will check with LQS to see if they offer any. Thanks!!!

If you can't find one that specializes in Brother ask them if you can still come. You may be learning your machine as you go but you'll have help in learning the embroidery stuff. I've been doing this a little over a yr and just traded up for my 2nd Viking. I check out all of the websites and I check out all tutorials and projects. Do a web search on Floriani or John Deer classes, they go all over the country. John Deer uses thier own Brother classes and you can make projects there. Floriani has a website with lots of infor and a workbook on all of the different types of stabilizers. Use this link and look for the workbook at bottom of screen:http://www.rnkdistributing.com/cid-3...-Products.html.
Emblibary.com has a great projects and tutorials section to help. Most sites offer something trying to make you want to buy. Take advantage and read all that you can. Good luck on it all. Quilt shows are also good.

mermaid 02-05-2013 10:22 AM

I'd be so happy to help you learn your new craft, but afraid Iam several states away! However, if you need any help, I am just a PM away....been using Brother machines for almost 20 yrs. Can put you onto some freeware also.

texas8823 02-05-2013 12:17 PM

mermaid, I might take you up on the pm if i need help again. You've been wonderful so far. I kinda thought I either had to stop it manually or that the pattern would automatically stop. This will be the first time I've actually tried a pattern that calls for more than one color. Freeware sounds wonderful! And I will scour the internet, etc for tutorials and classes. Thanks so much for your help.

Bamagal 02-05-2013 12:28 PM

I have the 780d (same as yours just got it from dealer). I always print out the color sheet do I know what is next. Once the machine stitches the first color , it cuts the thread and stops. Lift the. Needle and retread with next color. Drop the needle and press the green button. When that color finishes. The machine will stop. Lift the needle to thread third color. Repeat per color. The saker told me to always lift the needle to retread. I Also bought a separate thread holder that fits behind the machine. The thread seems to flow easier.

mermaid 02-05-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bamagal (Post 5840541)
I have the 780d (same as yours just got it from dealer). I always print out the color sheet do I know what is next. Once the machine stitches the first color , it cuts the thread and stops. Lift the. Needle and retread with next color. Drop the needle and press the green button. When that color finishes. The machine will stop. Lift the needle to thread third color. Repeat per color. The saker told me to always lift the needle to retread. I Also bought a separate thread holder that fits behind the machine. The thread seems to flow easier.

I think you mean "raise the embroidery foot". You must raise the foot so the tension disks can open to accept the new threading...then you let the foot back down and push "GO" again. But always remember to raise the foot before removing thread and rethreading. And never forget to put the foot down before restarting. I've done that several times---you can raise a whole family of rats in the nest of thread under your project. And it might be a good idea to have a thin blade nearby, cuz you will then have to cut the threads under the hoop to remove your project. Just sayin.