Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charity Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-quilt-question-t24656.html)

Dingle 08-25-2009 05:53 PM

Hi Everyone

For those of you who make charity quilts, what pattern do you use most often and what size do you make? I will be making some but with all the differen't patterns (and being a newbie) I don't want to start one that may be a little more difficult then I realize and take too long, or get bored doing the same thing over and over. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kristina

sewjoyce 08-25-2009 05:55 PM

When I do charity quilts, I try to make a pattern that I haven't used before and that has at least 12" blocks so it doesn't take too many. This way I don't get bored making the same block over and over and I get to try something new. Most charity quilts I make are about 45" square. :D

sewnsewer2 08-25-2009 07:42 PM

I also use different patterns. An easy one would be rail fence tho.

Jim's Gem 08-25-2009 08:12 PM

Warm wishes, rail fence, Yellow Brick road, Turning 20 again, I like a pattern that I know I can whip up fast. My Guild does make kits with fabrics and a pattern for them so I will do up what the kit says (for the most part)

bebe 08-26-2009 04:40 AM

what does the turning 20 pattern look like? what are the cutting dimensions? :D :D :D

justwannaquilt 08-26-2009 05:08 AM

For me Charity means scrappy, simple, fast, yet fun and well made! Some of my favorites are disapearing nine patch, strip quilts, and the Amy Butler pattern, Amy's Lotus Brick Path Quilt (can be found for free on her website) which (for a child) looks super cute with a simple silhouette of anything, a cat, dog, car, truck, animal, plain, train, or whatever raw edge appliqued in the lower corner.

All of these can be made with a number of fun scraps in ANY size, these type of quilts are easy to make whatever size whether you are sewing for a preemie or a 6 foot teenager!

And my favorite part about these quilt, they do not take ANY type of thought process! lol

as far as what size to make, it really depends who you are donating to, if you are donating to a NICU they only need to be about 12-13 inch square, if you are making for CPS/foster kids think anything from newborn to 18 years, if you are donating to wounded soldiers, think adult/lap quilts that can be used while in a wheelchair or just hanging out in a military hospital away from home. If you are donating to a nursing home again think something that could cover ones legs while in a wheelchair.

Scissor Queen 08-26-2009 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Another charity question- how do you keep track of your supply cost for tax purposes. I know you cannot claim your labor or time, but I think you can claim cost of materials if you have the receipts. Am I correct in that?

You can only claim the cost of materials and only to those organizations that are considered charities. Schools and churches count too. The rules on charitable donations have gotten a little tighter and a little tricky the last few years. I wouldn't claim any deduction I couldn't back up with a receipt.

(tax lady for 7 years)

vicki reno 08-26-2009 06:15 AM

Years ago, I taught Faith Formation to 5th graders at my church. We made quilts for the unmarried mothers home in Raleigh. They were babay quilts of all different patterns and colors. No one said nothing to us about it being the wrong kind or anything like that. They were just glad to get them.

rosequilts 08-26-2009 08:54 AM

I make many quilts for the charity projects with my guild. I use many patterns, but I try to have the size no larger than 40 inches. With this width I can use one piece of fabric for the backing rather than piece the back.

Shemjo 08-26-2009 09:25 AM

Good questions! The size varies accordiing to who the quilts are made for. Baby quilts, youth quilts, andthrow quilts seem to be the most common size, but finished is better than perfect! :?