Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charity Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-quilts-t143833.html)

bearisgray 08-09-2011 09:14 AM

Not sure if this belongs here or in GCC - or if it will get deleted.

A Charity Quilt -

What does it mean to you?

What it means to me:

A quilt that will given to someone I probably do not know.

But what if that quilt WAS given to someone that I know - or that knows me??

I still want that quilt to hold up to many washings and hard use. (Hopefully, not abused - but the line gets murky between hard use and abuse)

I would not want to be embarrassed to have my name as the maker of it emblazoned on it.

I want it to look "planned/intentional" versus "scraps off the floor" or "clean out the closet" - even if it was made of "scraps off the floor"

Material can be decent/good, even if relatively inexpensive.

Workmanship - it's as easy to sew at least a 1/4 inch seam as a 1/16 inch one.

I want it to be clean when it leaves my custody.

If a practice piece is truly a disaster - why would someone else cherish it?

Who knows? Someday, I or someone near and dear to me might be on the receiving end.

jean1941 08-09-2011 09:20 AM

I agree with everything you said and I do charity quilts

Zhillslady 08-09-2011 09:20 AM

Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.

butterflies5518 08-09-2011 09:23 AM

Zhillslady - what a beautiful thought and conversation

blueangel 08-09-2011 09:33 AM

Well said.

Monika 08-09-2011 09:57 AM

Well said!!!

Missysgottohelp 08-09-2011 10:01 AM

I totally agree with you! I want to be proud of the quilts I give to charity. I want the person who receives it to have something special.

Grama Lehr 08-09-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.

I agree with you. I always do my best for charity, my BEST might not be your best, but it's my best. I try as hard as I can, and I hope that the love and effort that I put into it is appreciated.

QUILTNMO 08-09-2011 10:03 AM

very well said i make lots of charity quilts

fabric_fancy 08-09-2011 10:03 AM

i'm with you.

every quilt i give to charity is a quilt i would give to my loved ones.

i refuse to work with fabrics that i don't enjoy working with.

i believe if you don't enjoy working on the quilt it will reflect in the quality of your work - you'll cut corners, rush thru steps, etc.