Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cheap quilting frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cheap-quilting-frame-t94346.html)

brendadawg 01-28-2011 05:46 PM

That's a great idea. I only do smaller things by hand, so it would be perfect for me.

sew wishful 01-28-2011 05:53 PM

Well, aren't you a smart cookie!! Way to go! I'm on the hunt now, too!

Stacey 01-28-2011 06:01 PM

Necessity also breeds genius.

okiepastor 01-28-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stacey
Necessity also breeds genius.

So true--and I learned from all my friends who grew up in the depression---use it up, make it do, or do without!

Justmetoo 01-28-2011 10:38 PM

I used 1x2s (boards)and wrapped them with some old blankets, (or any type of sheeting for padding.) & stiched them in place Used C clamps to hold the 4 boards together. As someone else said you can place the boards on top of straight chairs. You can attach the backing, batting and quilt top w/pins to hold taut while working on quilting. When you need to work in a different area on quilt, do so by rolling one end in. Worked great for many yrs. You could always have 2 sets of boards, one for sm. quilts & another set for larger quilts. ^_^

okiepastor 01-29-2011 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Justmetoo
I used 1x2s (boards)and wrapped them with some old blankets, (or any type of sheeting for padding.) & stiched them in place Used C clamps to hold the 4 boards together. As someone else said you can place the boards on top of straight chairs. You can attach the backing, batting and quilt top w/pins to hold taut while working on quilting. When you need to work in a different area on quilt, do so by rolling one end in. Worked great for many yrs. You could always have 2 sets of boards, one for sm. quilts & another set for larger quilts. ^_^

That is what we use at church to tie quilts-----I made sleeves to pin to.

lclang 01-29-2011 05:21 AM

I did this many years ago. Works for any size quilt, just keep moving it around. Our big old cat, Romeo, thought it was a wonderful cat hammock and was rather miffed when I made him get down so I could quilt!

kbonafede 01-29-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Justmetoo

I had heard of this in the past, but it wasn't described this way. I think this is totally do-able, and I can visualize wrapping the boards with something to pin to.....and c-clamps are not expensive at the hardware store..... this works, too. Good advice to all of us. Thank you.

Justmetoo 01-29-2011 06:54 AM

You are welcome, I am enjoying this quilting board very much, friendly group w/ good ideas! We all need to help one another. As things get tough I hope more of the... AHEM "more mature" quilters will pass on ways that were used earlier in their lives while quilting. Some are very unique and inexpensive. ^_^ :thumbup:

violetsfarm 01-29-2011 09:26 AM

Oklahoma people are smarter. Thanks for the idea, I have just the card table. Violet