Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chenille quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chenille-quilt-t3947.html)

CRH 01-08-2008 12:14 PM

Hi everybody!
Really enjoy seeing all the projects and reading about your quilting experiences. The creativity and talent are amazing!
I usually do piecing, but decided to try a chenille baby quilt to send to a new baby in Alaska. ---and need HELP!
It has 4 flannel layers- measured carefully, (44 inches square) and sewed around the edge as per directions. Sewed diagonally 1/2 inch apart and after the 4th diag stitching the flannel began to bunch up -- with the next row of stitching it will be sewing in wrinkles. Looks like I could remove the outside stitching and smooth most of it out, but would that make the edges wavy when finished?? What to do???

Lisa 01-08-2008 12:41 PM

Hi CRH, I would maybe take out the stitching around the outside and do it last, also when you are doing you diagonal stitching it helps to sew from one end, flip it and sew the next one from the oposite direction and so forth to help with the puckering and all. Welcome to the site.

bj 01-08-2008 12:44 PM

I hope you get an answer to your question. I've never done chenile, but I think it is so cute. Would it help to lengthen your stitch a little? Or maybe us a walking foot to help the fabric feed more evenly. Do you have it pinned or basted to help reduce shifting in the layers? Don't know, just thinking out loud, I guess.

CRH 01-08-2008 01:25 PM

Thanks for the helpful ideas - need to get this quilt finished and sent while it still fits!! bj, I love your baby quilts, that's what I've spent most of my quilting time on the last 5 yrs!! Lisa, your rooster log cabin quilt tickled my fancy- cute idea!

vicki reno 01-09-2008 09:35 AM

Do you have a walking foot? If so that will help reduce the wrinkles. The presser foo is pushing the top layers haead of the otheres and that is what is causing the wrinkles or puckering.
If no walking foot, is it possible to adjust the pressure that the presser foot is exerting on the flannel? Some machines let you do that. Good luck!

nancy donaldson 01-09-2008 10:42 AM

i make these all the time and they are usually a big hit with new moms! babies seem to love the texture of the chenille as they grab it with their tiny hands. i would take out the stitching on the edges. most definatley a walking foot is a big advantage. you can smooth it out as you go. after you have sewn all the channels use your slash cutter on the top 3 layers (remember the layer that acts as the backing must be facing in the opposite direction, just like a regular quilt. when all the channels are slashed you can square up the blanket. then apply the binding and throw it in the washer and dryer. the chenille will form and it is so much nicer than any chenille fabric you could buy already made---much more dense. everyone always ask how i found such beautiful chenille and when i tell them i made it myself they look at me like i came from another planet. good luck on your project

Necci 01-11-2008 04:04 PM

I just love the look of these quilts. Do you have some pictures & instructions? I would like to make some! :P

CRH 01-11-2008 09:20 PM

Thanks Vicki and Nancy for your replies. I did in fact finish the stitching and cutting of the quilt by using your techniques. I used my Pfaff with IDT, released the edge stitching, smoothed it out, sewed the rows in alternating directions and it worked well. The best thing is I used my new (for Christmas) cordless rechargeable Black and Decker scissors DH gave me and it made the cutting process a snap. Necci, will try to include link to the site where I found My instructions. Never did this before, so bear with in case I need to get my kids to help!

http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/c...e_blanket.html

Necci 01-12-2008 10:39 AM

:D Thanks. You're an angel. Can't wait to make one.

BillyTeeJohnFrancescasMom 02-04-2008 04:39 PM

I was just telling CRH to use an overedged stitch (jersey stich). My Bessie quilt taught me a big lesson. I incorporated the chennile next to the cotton, oh boy-I must have done these blocks over and over again. Then it finally accured to me, look in my sewing machine manual. :P