Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Christmas slump (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/christmas-slump-t172642.html)

0tis 12-20-2011 09:45 AM

Christmas slump

I am starting to feel it - that dreaded christmas slump - I have things to complete before Christmas day and here I sit. Oh, why did this happen now. I am slogging through it but I get this every year - usually after christmas and into the new year. Anybody else feeling it too? I will get what needs to be done then I will go through my slump and wait until I become inspired for something new. Woe is me...:(

scrapykate 12-20-2011 09:59 AM

I had that last week but am now back to full tilt. This will be the first year without my mother so was expecting a slump to hit but it happened early but might sneak up and hit me again afterwards. Have you tired the 10 minute table runner, something quick and easy but is so much fun to see the finished product.

par4theday 12-20-2011 10:09 AM

It is the slumps that charges me up for the next high. Life for me is like a roller coaster ride. It has its ups and downs. This will pass, good luck to you. That is also when I start looking at books and magazines for new inspiration. The best motivation is when I see beautiful things on this board, and the Sew and Tell portion of our guild meetings. Seeing something beautiful, inspires me, only have 30 projects going ATM.

Katia 12-20-2011 10:12 AM

Christmas is always hard for me. My mom passed away on this day fourteen years ago and it is always hard for me to get excited. You would think I would move on and not let it bother me, but well, time does not heal everything. You just learn how to deal. And then this year my BFF and her daughter both passed away at the first of the month. Talk about a kick in the stomach. We lived far apart, and did not talk as often as we should have, so I have those regrets snapping at me once in awhile.

So I have been attempting to fake it till I make it. I have to or I would be a puddle. I keep myself busy and try not to dwell. I am excited since we are going to our kids for the week after Christmas. That will be fun, playing Santa and all that. I love being with the grandkids and miss them so much.

I have also made a bunch of stuff for my kids and grands. I am hoping to get everything done. But like Otis, it is much easier to sit hear and read this board or play games on Facebook. I saw a quote on Facebook that says it all. ​"I'm taking care of my procrastination thing. Just you wait and see"

RDM 12-20-2011 10:19 AM

I'm in a similar mood, no desire to decorate. I offer a suggestion, sit down, watch the old favorite holiday movies and maybe the seasons joy will find you. I do relate, life gets hectic now and family gatherings may create stress. I hope as the 25th approaches that your heart will be lifted. Go buy something special for you that's been on your list forever. I had a friend that did that for her birthday and Christmas-she was never disappointed with what she got.

Prissnboot 12-20-2011 10:26 AM

I got the laptop out to turn on aol radio while decoratingh the tree...see where I am now? I have a pillow pet and some placemats to get done by an unknown deadline - now I'm thinking I don't really care when they get it or if they get it, ungrateful self-centered individuals.

nhweaver 12-20-2011 10:41 AM

My sewing machine sits with its cover on, a quilt is on the design wall, I have a BOM to get done out to my partner, and I am with you all, too much to do and too little time. I feel unappreciated, there are specialty breads to make and frankly I don't eat them, so they may not get done. I have to do something for "me", so I went out and bought a new book, and today when I get home from work I am going to read. It is the time of year where I miss my mom, wish that I could get up and get away by myself for a couple of days, maybe even a day. My husband and I are sniping at each other (not normal for us), I think both of us need time off. I think I am going to buy myself some high fat, high calorie egg nog on the way home, liquor it up good and drink all I want while I read my mystery book. Calories be damned, arteries watch out!!! Oh did I add, we are dog sitting with a snauzer for a few days and the activity level in my house is off the charts.

Tartan 12-20-2011 10:56 AM

Don't look at your pile of stuff to do. Just try to complete one thing today and stroke it off your list. I've had my Christmas radio music playing but if you go out to do a little more shopping, be prepared for the Scrouges out there saying, "bah humbug." Of course they are not saying anything as mild as that. I know things have been bad for a lot of people this year but I feel like saying, "c'mon people make a little effort here, it's supposed to be peace and joy and Merry Christmas!"

Shelbie 12-20-2011 11:08 AM

The bottom line is "A Lot of People Don't Handle Christmas Very Well!!!". Christmas and families and situations are not merry and wonderful for everyone. You are not the only one feeling ho hum or worse about the Christmas season. We can't have the Christmas from yesterday and all we can have is the present one. Just try and focus on a few simple things and know that December 26th will come whether you were jolly on the 25th or not. If this year's traditions are not working for you, plan on some new ones for next year. My friend used to loathe and stress greatly about the traditional Christmas dinner. Now they do Chinese take-out and she is liking Christmas a whole lot better. You can celebrate in simpler and more meaningful ways. Good luck with all of this.

suebee 12-20-2011 11:09 AM

LOTS OF HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes thats all one needs. Hang in there...