Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Civil War quilt or help with y seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/civil-war-quilt-help-y-seams-t124772.html)

adnerb25 05-21-2011 03:40 PM

I need some help. I am trying to finish up a block for the Civil War Quilt (Judie Rothermal) and I am having a hard time with the inset or y seams. Are there any clear tutorials that show how to do this? I know a couple of people on the board did this quilt, so maybe they can help me out. My friend and I went to the LQS, but they hand stitched the seams. I would like to do these by machine if at all possible. I have watched a couple of tutorials on youtube, but it didn't help. So, I am at a standstill with this quilt until I can figure this out.
Thanks,
Brenda R.

eparys 05-21-2011 04:00 PM

I am not sure what you need help with - but here is how I do it. My Avatar had Y seams. I marked the three pieces VERY carefully at the 1/4 inch seam mark with a disappearing ink pen at the intersection point. I then "matched up that point on two of the pieces and pinned carefully away from the matched point. I sewed "from the outside edge" into the point -stopping about 1/8 to 1/4 inch short of the intersection (this allowed me some room to match up that point with the other side). I the did the other seam the exact same way. Match up the point first, pin carefully and sew. This time I went ahead and sewed up to the point. Then I either went back to sew the other seam if needed. Hope this helps.

BKrenning 05-21-2011 04:02 PM

Mark the seam. Stop right on the 1/4 mark and back stitch--do not go over the exact corner. It does take a little practice but Y seams aren't hard if you mark them first. Less than a 90 degree is harder but still doable. What is the block name you are stuck on?

Maribeth 05-21-2011 04:02 PM

I have a lot of trouble with Y-seams myself. Marking the 1/4" before the end of the seam seems to offer the most assistance for me. Good Luck. :-)

fabric whisperer 05-21-2011 04:04 PM

I did what eparys did ~ marked it very lightly on the backsides, just the corner intersections ~ then I stopped just short of that, which gave me more wiggle room to get the next ones lined up and laying perfectly flat. I am doing the carpenter's wheel/star, which is 100% y seams

I probably didn't need to, but I also took both threads thru to one side and hand-tied them in a boxknot so they could not lose a stitch at a pointy-point... just my peace of mind before it is quilted, if that makes sense.

Maribeth 05-21-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Mark the seam. Stop right on the 1/4 mark and back stitch--do not go over the exact corner. It does take a little practice but Y seams aren't hard if you mark them first. Less than a 90 degree is harder but still doable. What is the block name you are stuck on?

I never thought of backstitching. I will try that next time. Thanks for the tip.

ube quilting 05-21-2011 04:32 PM

A great tute for set in seams can be found at Fons and Porter but you would have to find it. I watched it on their show, so I'm sure it's out there somewhere. I can only hope this might help. It is a really good tute! After watching it I did some of my own and wow!

Kitsie 05-21-2011 04:38 PM

Here's a good tute from Kaye Wood :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkHfcuNzCA

adnerb25 05-21-2011 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Should the seams be pressed open or to one side? One block has two squares already sewn together and then a triangle sewn into that. The other block is strange. I probably will have to figure that one out on my own. I would have to take a picture of it in order for anyone to understand it. The seams are inset around a square.
Brenda

amma 05-22-2011 06:02 AM

As you are sewing the block, see where the seams "want to lay" and where there will be the least bulk :D:D:D