Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Civil War Tribute Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/civil-war-tribute-quilt-t58388.html)

adnerb25 08-08-2010 05:11 AM

I don't post often to the group, but I do read all the messages.
I have a question that maybe someone can help me with. I am currently working on the Block of the Month Civil War Tribute Quilt by Judie Rothermel. I just picked up Block 7 from my LQS
and after looking at the cutting directions, I am stumped. The pattern calls for cutting squares (for example: 2 3/16" x 2 3/16"). How can you cut sixteenths? I know I could round up to 4/16 which is a 1/4, but then the block is going to come out bigger than it should be. I am afraid to eyeball and cut between an 1/8 and a 1/4 inch. I don't think that would be really accurate. All of these squares will be cut diagonally and then sewn with other squares that have been cut diagonally to make HST's. Since I have to do 32 of these, I'm afraid that by the time they are all sewn together the block is going to be off mathematically. My other question is: Once the two triangles are sewn together, how do I know what the actual measurement of the HST should be? This is the only month where the block is being cut using fractions of a sixteeth. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brenda R. (New Jersey)

Donna094 08-08-2010 05:17 AM

My brother-in-law made templates for me using his carpenter tools which have the 16th inch markings on them so my squares and triangles would be accurate. Hope this helps.

AliKat 08-08-2010 06:40 AM

I participated in a BOM quilt where it had /16 measurements. It was strongly suggested that we buy the ruler that is marked in /16 increments. I did and loved the results.

Unfortunately I am not at home so I can't tell you the ruler.

You might try www.quiltersrule.com for that ruler as they sell such a variety and are really nice folk. [they talked me out of buying a quantity of rulers and instead I bought just one and then after using it knew which rulers I really needed without busting my budget.]

ali

nmthelen52 08-08-2010 06:48 AM

I used the alternative block for month seven. It called for less half square triangles and they were not cut at the 16th". They looked great

nativetexan 08-08-2010 07:37 AM

i love patterns that tell you what the measurements should be for each step. that helps a lot!

adnerb25 08-08-2010 07:45 AM

Thank you all for your quick responses. I think I am going to try the ruler with the sixteenths. I didn't know such a ruler existed. I did consider doing the alternate block, but liked the harder block better. However, if I can't find the ruler, I will use the alternate block and be happy with. Especially since we have to make 8 of them!
Brenda

martha jo 08-08-2010 07:53 AM

Thanks for the heads up as I haven't done those blocks yet. I have a 7/8 inch ruler by Creative Grids and guess I could mark it on top with tape but think I will just do alternative blocks instead. Was not aware there was a 1/16 inch ruler. Thanks. I have to hide the 7/8 ruler now so I don't pick it up by mistake.

adnerb25 08-08-2010 08:15 AM

Ali,
I looked for a quilting ruler that would have the sixteenths marked and was unable to find any. If you get a chance, could you let me know what the name of the ruler is that you have and where you bought it?
Thanks,
Brenda

martha jo 08-08-2010 08:50 AM

I just went through all the sites I could find online and couldn't find a 1/16" ruler. Please let us know who makes it and where we can get it. Thanks!

adnerb25 08-08-2010 09:31 AM

Martha,
I tried using tape on my ruler between the 1/8 and 1/4. I couldn't get it straight. I'm hoping Ali can tell us where she got the ruler.
Are you enjoying making this quilt? It is beautiful, but a lot of work. I think this is going to be the most challenging month for me as I get bored making the same block more than twice! You can imagine how I have struggled when I had to make the two large blocks and then the two smaller blocks. They were't hard to make, I was getting bored. Now I have to make 8 for this month. If I can't find the ruler, I guess I will have to just make the alternate block. I wish they would have given us a heads that we were going to encounter blocks with sixteenths. I also think they should have provided a place to purchase such a ruler.
Brenda R. (New Jersey)