Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning an iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-iron-t40653.html)

Roberta 03-25-2010 07:52 AM

I some how had something get on my brand new iron and leave a nice little red stain. I've tried using the tin foil in a ball method to clean it but it doesn't seem to want to come off. Any other suggestions?

Chasing Hawk 03-25-2010 08:20 AM

Martha Stewart has a video.

I can't stand that woman so I didn't watch it to see if it works......LOL

LovinMySoldier 03-25-2010 08:29 AM

Did you try just ironing it off? I got some black nasty stuff on mine when I moved and I couldn't get it off by washing it. So I just turned it on and started ironing on some cheap material. I had it on a hot setting. It seemed to just melt the junk and it came off really nicely on my scrap material. Might not be the best way to clean it but it worked. Good Luck!

Marjpf 03-25-2010 08:31 AM

There is a commercial iron cleaner you can get at JoAnns. I've used it when I get the fusible interfacing glue on my iron. It works.

Roberta 03-25-2010 08:50 AM

This appears to be dye from a red tumbler block I was starching and ironing. As if that wasn't bad enough, the stain is now right on the white tumbler block that I ironed after but before I noticed the dye on the iron. Just not my day I guess.

AtHomeSewing 03-25-2010 08:55 AM

Have you tried the dryer sheet method? This takes a lot of gunk off my iron.

Take a few paper towels and place a unused dryer sheet at one end. With a HOT iron run over the dryer sheet and glide directly onto the paper towels. This method usually takes whatever is on the iron with it as you then glide over the paper towels.

tadpoles_62 03-25-2010 08:59 AM

have you tried using a brown paper sack and salt? to use open sack and pour bout 1 cup salt on and plug in iron when it gets hot iron the salt , might work . it work on a black spot i had on mine , good luck .

EasyPeezy 03-25-2010 08:59 AM

I just wipe mine with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. So far it has removed the
most stubborn stains. Make sure you wipe your iron on a clean rag before
using it.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-25-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
Have you tried the dryer sheet method? This takes a lot of gunk off my iron.

Take a few paper towels and place a unused dryer sheet at one end. With a HOT iron run over the dryer sheet and glide directly onto the paper towels. This method usually takes whatever is on the iron with it as you then glide over the paper towels.

Thanks for the info, I didn't hear this before.

Roberta 03-25-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta
I some how had something get on my brand new iron and leave a nice little red stain. I've tried using the tin foil in a ball method to clean it but it doesn't seem to want to come off. Any other suggestions?

I tried toothpaste suggested in an online site, yuck. Then I had to get the toothpaste off which I did with a soft, wet cloth and most of the stain went with it.

I forgot about the salt and paperbag hint and the dryer sheet hint, both of which I've tried in the past with fusible web that became stuck to the bottom.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Just FYI, forget the toothpaste method

:-(