Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning a Top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-top-t24815.html)

peaceandjoy 08-30-2009 05:11 AM

Soooo... I had a top (from a mystery quilt) done that was waiting to go to a quilter. It was folded up, but sitting out. That was my first mistake as DD's young cat was living with us at the time. He found it great fun to play with and by the time I found him, it was a huge wadded up mess covered with fur.

It's bright colors on a black background and the fur is everywhere. I didn't know what to do to clean it up other than spend forever picking them off individually. The front I could use a lint roller, but the back? So I chucked the whole thing in a basket and there it has been ever since. :oops:

How would you suggest I clean a top? I'm afraid to wash it, as it has all of those seams - won't those fray a lot in the washer?

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 08-30-2009 05:38 AM

I can't help you, but I'd like to see the answers, because I have the same thing. I made a top with bright colours on a black background, and I folded it up and put it on the top shelf. Unfortunately, heat rises, and my cat thought it was a cozy place to sleep for a few months, and how there's more fur than fabric, lol!

bearisgray 08-30-2009 05:42 AM

You can use a lint roller to get most of the fur off the back also. Just be prepared to change the sticky surfaces fairly often. The lint rollers can do magic - get the fuzzies off, repress if necessary, and fold neatly - might want to check with your quilter if she has allergies to cats, though, before sending it to her.

I would avoid washing it if possible - those seams will fray -

and how do I know this?

Because I had to wash some sewn together strips - I basically soaked them in the sink - rinsed them in the sink - and draped them over a drying rack - minimal handling and agitating - and it still frayed a lot.

bebe 08-30-2009 07:33 AM

You can put some Febreeze on it and throw in the dryer it will get most of the hair off and then use your lint brush :D :D

I have cats also and they like quilts :wink: :wink:

lyndawn 08-30-2009 08:30 AM

You might be able to wash it on a handwash cycle or some kind of gentil cycle if you sew all the way around the quits edge at about 1/4" as if you were sewing on another border but use no fabric. Does that make sense? I had to do this with a quilt that was to be sent to the quilters, but the quilt didn't have borders on it. I didn't want it to fray so I sewed around the edges.

Then dry in the dryer on no heat setting.

I am not goign to guaratee that will work, but it did for me. If it were me, I would do it, but that's just because I don't have the time to use a lint brush on a quilt for that long. I'm lucky I have time to get a quilt done ever...lol

Lynette

joeyoz 08-30-2009 09:32 AM

You could try just popping it in the dryer then use the roller. I know the dryer gets a lot of dog hair out for me.

Hope you find something that works. If you do, please share with the rest of us, as I am sure you aren't the first, nor will you be the last, to have a hairy quilt top.

Joey

amma 08-30-2009 10:07 AM

I would put it in the dryer too with a few slightly damp pillow cases...the moisture from them will stop the static cling and the hairs will release easier...towels may be too coarse against the raw seams....

kwhite 08-30-2009 10:20 AM

what about the velvet brushes? I have one that I use to get all of the cat hair off of the furniture.

Ninnie 08-30-2009 12:55 PM

Throw it in the dryer with a bounce, it will get most off

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-30-2009 06:01 PM

The Pledge pet hair sweeper works well on furniture. Better than a lint roller, I think. It might do something for you.