Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning your Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-your-iron-t225768.html)

peacebypiece 07-14-2013 06:48 AM

Long time ago I read about salt to clean iron. Dump a spoonful of salt on a paper grocery bag. Rub HOT iron over the salt until the goo comes off. Then I turn off the clean iron and while it is still hot/warm rub it over a piece of waxed paper. Ancient remedies, but they work.

winia 07-14-2013 06:54 AM

dryer sheet. Takes it right off. Put your iron on a little bit more than luke warm. Iron across the dryer sheet, and the goop will come right off.

MartiMorga 07-14-2013 07:35 AM

Hadn't seen the magic eraser before, but definitely will pick some of those up!

MartiMorga 07-14-2013 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece (Post 6176745)
Long time ago I read about salt to clean iron. Dump a spoonful of salt on a paper grocery bag. Rub HOT iron over the salt until the goo comes off. Then I turn off the clean iron and while it is still hot/warm rub it over a piece of waxed paper. Ancient remedies, but they work.

This is how my mom used to clean her iron. I tried it for some sticky glue and it didn't work for me.

jcrow 07-14-2013 09:09 AM

I use 'IRON CLEAN' by Bo-Nash. Their website is: www.bonash.com. Hope this helps. It's wonderful!!

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-14-2013 09:45 AM

I have used Goo B Gone to take off the sticky stuff. It works with a little elbow grease and I was impressed that it left no sticky residue at all. My iron was warm when I did this, but I think it would work on a cool iron. After everything was off, I cleaned the iron plate with warm water and a paper towel. And I ironed on some scrap fabric just in case. Nothing showed up on the fabric after the ironing. Oh, I did try the old salt on a paperbag trick. Didn't work. Just glued salt to the sticky stuff on the iron! LOL! But the Goo B Gone took that off too!

retiredteacher09 07-16-2013 04:14 AM

I read your question just in time. I got some sticky interfacing on my iron yesterday and used a fabric softener sheet and it worked great!

I get so many great ideas from this board. Thanks to everyone for asking questions and to those that post answers.

Connie

quiltinghere 07-16-2013 04:20 AM

If I get starch buildup, I just iron an old wet towel until it's shiny. Quick and easy.

Anything tougher, I use the commercial iron cleaners (don't know exact name). The toothpaste stuff you place on an old towel and iron.

Use a pressing sheet when ironing anything that MAY melt if touched by an iron.

Nan

Lori S 07-16-2013 04:50 AM

I use the Hot Iron cleaner you buy at Jo'Ann's . It in a tube found on the notions wall. I used the salt , the dryer sheets and nothing seemed to work till I used the Hot Iron cleaner.

michelleoc 07-16-2013 08:43 AM

LOVE Magic Eraser! Made cleaning my gunky iron a piece of cake.