Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Clover Mini Iron- any info?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clover-mini-iron-any-info-t49487.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 06-13-2010 11:04 AM

Hi everyone, I just bought this to do some pressing seams, etc, instead of going over to the regular ironing board which is not in my sewing room. Another reason is I like to press, pin , etc while I'm watching baseball sometimes downstairs. I got the more expensive one with my 50% coupon so it was a good deal. I've never used one and wondered if any of you like it. I also bought a larger piece that goes with it for larger seams.
Any info is appreciated! Thanks :D Sue

BKrenning 06-13-2010 12:25 PM

I keep one by my sewing machine for paper piecing. I think it would come in handy for miniatures and log cabin/pineapple blocks also. I only have the regular end. I have a travel iron & a June Tailor 18 x 12" Press & Cut that I use for pressing other types of blocks as I sew. I also take these on vacations with my old mechanical sewing machine, rotary cutter & whichever ruler will work best for the project I take. Very portable!

BellaBoo 06-13-2010 12:38 PM

I use it sometimes. I like it for pressing block seams. I had to take it back for a replacement three times until I found one with the correct cord twist. The wrong twist direction and the iron will not stay in the upright position when set down. Also for some reason, the iron has to be heated up several times before it will reach max temp. After that it will get very hot every time. Seems many were returned because they wouldn't get hot enough. One sentence on the package would have saved all the returns. Reminds me of the time I was given a whole case of expensive ink pens by the store manager who said these pens won't work! He didn't know to scribble several times before the ink flowed. LOL.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-13-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I keep one by my sewing machine for paper piecing. I think it would come in handy for miniatures and log cabin/pineapple blocks also. I only have the regular end. I have a travel iron & a June Tailor 18 x 12" Press & Cut that I use for pressing other types of blocks as I sew. I also take these on vacations with my old mechanical sewing machine, rotary cutter & whichever ruler will work best for the project I take. Very portable!

BK, I also bought the June Tailor Press & Cut!! :D
I got tired of bringing the iron downstairs and then using an old towel on the kitchen table, along with my cutting mat.
I had fun today lololol

Miss Mona 06-13-2010 12:53 PM

I started using the Clover Iron when I began to use washable glue instead of pinning. Rather than waiting 3-5 minutes for the glue to dry, like the directions said on the washable glue, just press the seam with the iron and it quickly drys out the glue. I put the piece between sandwich wax paper so that I didn't get glue on my ironing mat. My 4-patch is perfect every time, no more unsewing.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-13-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use it sometimes. I like it for pressing block seams. I had to take it back for a replacement three times until I found one with the correct cord twist. The wrong twist direction and the iron will not stay in the upright position when set down. Also for some reason, the iron has to be heated up several times before it will reach max temp. After that it will get very hot every time. Seems many were returned because they wouldn't get hot enough. One sentence on the package would have saved all the returns. Reminds me of the time I was given a whole case of expensive ink pens by the store manager who said these pens won't work! He didn't know to scribble several times before the ink flowed. LOL.

Bella, thanks for the tip!! The Joann's I went to was so hot I couldn't wait to get out of there. (Even if they were giving away free pens lol. What a funny that was for you!! :D

dar627742 06-15-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Hi everyone, I just bought this to do some pressing seams, etc, instead of going over to the regular ironing board which is not in my sewing room. Another reason is I like to press, pin , etc while I'm watching baseball sometimes downstairs. I got the more expensive one with my 50% coupon so it was a good deal. I've never used one and wondered if any of you like it. I also bought a larger piece that goes with it for larger seams.
Any info is appreciated! Thanks :D Sue

about 12 yrs ago i bought 3 cloverirons [1 for sis.1 for best friend. non of us ever used it ! after not sewing for 10 yrs,decided to try it & can't imagine what took me so long! it works greatfor pressing open those TINY 1/4 " seams.my big fingers justdon't work like theyused to.try it,i think you'll like it !dar