Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Clover Mini irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clover-mini-irons-t88733.html)

featherweight 01-10-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by kjdavis4
I use my clover iron for foundation paper piecing and for applique (turning the seam allowance under). I like it, but you have to be careful with it. Don't let your cat jump on your sewing table and accidentally pull the iron into your lap. Good thing I was wearing pants. LOL

OUCH!!!

BellaBoo 01-10-2011 06:23 PM

You do have to heat it up several times before it will reach max temp. But after it does it will each time after that. I didn't like mine at first but now I use it a lot. DH said the cord lay was wrong and reversed it for me so now the iron stays straight and doesn't want to flip over. It rests perfectly on a flat surface. The lay of the cord is like getting a water hose twisted, it wants to go one way. This is one sign of a good manufacturer, getting any appliance cords attached according to the right lay. Sadly Clover's specs doesn't include this for their cords as it takes extra time to do it right and someone over the process to know what lay is. LOL

jaciqltznok 01-10-2011 06:46 PM

I have used my original one for 10 years....still going strong..great for classes and paper piecing!
I also bought the newer one recently with the different tips....have not used it yet...maybe this week!

qnana 01-11-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
You do have to heat it up several times before it will reach max temp. But after it does it will each time after that. I didn't like mine at first but now I use it a lot. DH said the cord lay was wrong and reversed it for me so now the iron stays straight and doesn't want to flip over. It rests perfectly on a flat surface. The lay of the cord is like getting a water hose twisted, it wants to go one way. This is one sign of a good manufacturer, getting any appliance cords attached according to the right lay. Sadly Clover's specs doesn't include this for their cords as it takes extra time to do it right and someone over the process to know what lay is. LOL

Maybe I will dig mine out of the storage room (if I can find it) and have engineer DH to look at it. Will try heating it several times too. I hate to waste all that money and would like to have something for really small stuff...applique esp. I was so disgusted, I never bought a replacement. Just got a finger guard and use my reg. iron.

JAGSD 01-11-2011 11:54 AM

I use mine all the time. I have had it for a little over 4 years and have never had a problem with it. I do a lot of Paperpiecing and absolutely LOVE it for that. I also put mine in a ceramic container, (so it doesn't burn things if it get tipped or something) it gets really hot and this way I know things are protected. I wouldn't give mine up for anything! I also use it when I have other seams that need pressing but haven't used for major pressing or the such.

redpurselady 01-11-2011 11:56 AM

I've had mine in a drawer for about 8 years. I usually use a small travel iron for individual blocks and the regular iron for larger surfaces. Maybe I should get mine out and heat it a couple of times to see if it's worth the trouble. It seems to be one of those many must have gadgets that you end up not using very much.

Bobbielinks 01-11-2011 12:00 PM

I purchased one and the on/off button broke off the first time I tried to use it. Just went back to my little travel Black and Decker which does a great job.

annieshane 01-11-2011 12:06 PM

I use a coffee cup as well for my iron. However, I turn the cup on the side with the handle holding it off the table and stick the point inside the cup. I am such a clutz that I would hit my myself with the tip or stick it upside down in the cup and the botton would get really hot on the table.

I really like mine, expecially for small seams, etc.

dolores 01-11-2011 02:45 PM

I have one and it works fine. I got a piece of 2x4 about 5 or 6 inches long and glue the stand on the end of it and put a small piece of wood on the other end with a small half circle and it holds my little iron just fine and was cheap to make.also cut a piece of felt the same size and glued it to the bottom

pattypurple 01-11-2011 04:45 PM

I have one that I bought at a garage sale. Used it for the first time this week for an applique class. I remember others suggesting the mug for holding it. I tried that and the mug kept falling over. When I was at Goodwill I saw a glass plate made to hold an ear of corn. Thought that this might work to lay the whole iron in. Haven't tried it yet.

Pat