Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   coffee stain removal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/coffee-stain-removal-t27016.html)

BellaBoo 10-14-2009 10:23 AM

A dry cleaner that specializes in drapes and linens can almost always get the coffee stain out. I have taken all kinds of things to a specialty cleaner. Tennis shoes, thread crochet items, stuffed animals and even a lamp shade. One thing I learned when something like this has happened. It's only fabric. A guild member by accident, cut off a big chunk of a quilt top I just finished sewing together. She was beside herself and was crying. I told her I was stunned but not angry, but if she hadn't been upset about it then I would have been upset. She punished herself by feeling so bad and that made me feel bad. We ended up in a laughing fit over it by the class end.

MadQuilter 10-14-2009 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I guess that's a good reason to only allow water in a classroom area.

Hope you get the stains out. Hope the other classmate at least apologized to you.

That's what I think too. In my own area, I use that rule when I have anyone else's items.

BellaBoo 10-14-2009 11:36 AM

Just wanted to add she sent me a beautiful basket of fat quarters a few weeks later. Quilters make the best friends!

joeyoz 10-14-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Just wanted to add she sent me a beautiful basket of fat quarters a few weeks later. Quilters make the best friends!

BellaBoo, that was very sweet of her. You know she felt really bad now.

MadQuilter 10-14-2009 01:36 PM

Silly question: does the design lend itself to coffee die (like tea die)?

Teacup 10-14-2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Silly question: does the design lend itself to coffee die (like tea die)?

That's not a silly question...some quilt blocks could be "enhanceed" by that, depending on their design and fabric. It could be the last ditch effort to still use them if none of the stain removal works. Nothing to lose by trying at that point!

littlehud 10-14-2009 04:51 PM

Interesting idea madquilter. I wouldn't have ever thought of that, but it could be an answer.

quiltbible 10-14-2009 06:48 PM

thank you all for all your suggestions. i have been away from home most of the day. i'm going to try vinegar and baking soda now. will let you know how it come go.

tea

daisyboo9 10-14-2009 07:44 PM

I swear by vinegar and baking soda....I never measure, I just kinda go by the size of the stain and the type. Also depending on same for the length of time I soak it for. I have left some really soiled things for up to 3 days and it has never failed! It is also very inexpensive and ecologically friendly too.

joeyoz 10-14-2009 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
I swear by vinegar and baking soda....I never measure, I just kinda go by the size of the stain and the type. Also depending on same for the length of time I soak it for. I have left some really soiled things for up to 3 days and it has never failed! It is also very inexpensive and ecologically friendly too.

I don't measure either, just wanted to give her something to go by being it is her first time. It got my stains out. And you're right, so inexpensive.