Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cold Cotton (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cold-cotton-t110420.html)

CloverPatch 03-24-2011 06:15 PM

Another thread about using sheets. Made me think.
I loved using sheets. The old ones like from the 70's -80's the nice ones from long ago. I like them cause A. they last B. they are cold. They keep this cool to them. Like flipping over your pillow to the cold side.
I have a hard time finding cotton i like. I like the really smooth cottons.
I just opened up a remant that was so smooth, and cool to the touch. Yes 100% cotton.
So what makes some cottons that way? Is it the thread count, quality? Or am I just a little nutty. When i find one like this I buy it, but it is always a remnant. I guess I just don't know where they are or what they are called to keep buying them on purpose. Anyone else?

purplemem 03-24-2011 06:26 PM

I know exactly what you mean and I want the answer, too.

My gramma's quilts that were backed in muslin are that way.

I'll watch and see the answers...

Up North 03-24-2011 06:31 PM

I think that is why I just love my first quilt it is backed with a sheet from Walmart and always feels cool!!

Ann L 03-24-2011 06:33 PM

I know what you mean too. I lived in Germany for awhile and at the flea markets I would buy up their old sheets. 100% cotton and sooooo very white. They do feel cool to the touch and sooo soft. Can't find them like that anymore.

happyscrappy 03-24-2011 06:47 PM

i love a cold pillow. your question got me to thinking . . . remember many many years ago when sheets were ironed. 100% cotton just like today. however, they way cotton is grown today is no comparison. there are way more chemicals put into fabrics, both when growing the cotton and in the production of the fabric. that is the main reason we do not need to iron cotton anymore. thanks for the question, so now i am for sure going to search out some organic sheets. see if they stay cold.

sharoney 03-24-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
i love a cold pillow. your question got me to thinking . . . remember many many years ago when sheets were ironed. 100% cotton just like today. however, they way cotton is grown today is no comparison. there are way more chemicals put into fabrics, both when growing the cotton and in the production of the fabric. that is the main reason we do not need to iron cotton anymore. thanks for the question, so now i am for sure going to search out some organic sheets. see if they stay cold.

You can buy organic cotton sheets, but they're pricey!

grammysews4u 03-24-2011 06:59 PM

Believe it or not I was in Walmart the other day and they had some $3.00 yd cotton that felt like that !! Didnt get it b/c it wasnt any thing I cared for. But I wanted to so bad. It is out there it was on the table where they stack them high! It was so smooth and soft and cold!

lyndaloo 03-24-2011 07:39 PM

The sheets they used to make did feel cool. I got to feeling nostalgic about white cotton sheets and found some I had put away probably 20 years ago. They are like new, and they feel so good! I wish I knew what it is that makes them feel "cool" but I know for sure I will be using them this summer. They are good quality 100% cotton but they feel so much better than anything I've seen in years.

CloverPatch 03-24-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by grammysews4u
Believe it or not I was in Walmart the other day and they had some $3.00 yd cotton that felt like that !! Didnt get it b/c it wasnt any thing I cared for. But I wanted to so bad. It is out there it was on the table where they stack them high! It was so smooth and soft and cold!

Oh man! $3 a yard! I really wish I could just go to a section in the and run my fingers through a bunch of them. I think If I could make an entire quilt with these smooth cool cottons, I might never get out of bed!!

CloverPatch 03-24-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by lyndaloo
The sheets they used to make did feel cool. I got to feeling nostalgic about white cotton sheets and found some I had put away probably 20 years ago. They are like new, and they feel so good! I wish I knew what it is that makes them feel "cool" but I know for sure I will be using them this summer. They are good quality 100% cotton but they feel so much better than anything I've seen in years.

I ended up with a bunch of my grandmothers sheets when she passed. I used them for backs. When I ran out of those, I stopped using sheets all together. That was some time ago. I just couldn't find any current sheets that compared. Not even the pricey ones.
Don't get me started on Todays sheets!! They are so thin! Even 600 thread count. I just hate it. And it only seems to be in the last year or so. its like all of a sudden they are thin. Maybe I just need to shop around more.