Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   which comes first- fabric or pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/comes-first-fabric-pattern-t40098.html)

mpspeedy 03-20-2010 05:39 PM

I will admit I always try and use my Joann's coupons. Since I make a lot of Linus quilts I can always justify purchasing fabric, especially if it is a kid's print. When I had a lot of handquilting customers I purchased six yards of anything that would make a suitable backing when I saw a good buy. I have several boxes full of such fabrics. Most of them are tone on tones or solid colors. I love when the clearance fabrics go on sale for 50% off of the marked down price. Much of my fabric stash for Linus came from that section of the store. A couple of weeks ago I went to Sauder's in Lancaster, PA. They have a spectacular annual sale. 5 of us from the Linus project went together. They had whole bolts of fabric most at least 15 yards starting at $1.99 a yard. I didn't get any bolts this time but I did purchase enough remnet flannels and children's prints to make at least 20 or thirty Linus quilts.

mom-6 03-20-2010 05:55 PM

I just love fabric!
When I buy, I may or may not have a particular project in mind. For me the fabric tends to dictate the design I will use. Sometimes a piece of fabric will 'speak up' and demand a particular means of showcasing it's beauty...just gotta listen!
Also I usually have several in the 'thinking stage'...want to do a quilt in say black & white, don't have a clue what design I'll go with, but know I want to have quite a few different black and white fabrics - black on white, white on black, small print, bigger print, maybe a polka dot or stripe, and so on...
I've never yet bought a pattern, just found pictures of something I liked and taken it from there. If I did buy a pattern I'd most likely change it up somehow anyway!

liviamarie3 03-20-2010 05:57 PM

Thank you everyone for your ideas and advice! Much appreciated! I'm also looking up bargello quilts for I have never heard of them before. I've wanted to quilt for over a year now but am finally really starting. It is so relaxing!! I have two toddlers and have another one on the way in a few months and having a little time to myself to make something memorable is so soothing. I'm so thankful for this blog! Thanks again everyone!

littlehud 03-28-2010 03:31 PM

I buy fabric when I like it and it calls to me. If I find a pattern I love I will buy fabric specifically for it. I'm no help at all.

SuSu 03-28-2010 03:44 PM

I too do it both ways. I love seeing quilts made up in shops. I have two patterns that I bought because of samples quilts -- and I had skipped over the patterns before because the pattern picture was ugly. I used to buy 3/4 but now never less than 1 yard. I do like picking up jelly rolls and almost always get yard of fabric to go with it or a layer cake or a couple of charm square packs. Sometimes I think I need to stop saying my hobby is quilting and start admitting that my hobby is collecting fabric!

Boston1954 03-28-2010 04:48 PM

When I first started quilting in 1992, I would buy a quarter yard. Now, it's no less than two yards of any one fabric for a very good reason. I have lots of variety, and not much of any one thing. When I get ready to do a large quilt, I know I will not have much, so the quilt ends up being smaller. When I plan a quilt in advance of buying the fabric, I use a calculator to figure how much I will need, and then get an extra half yard.