Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Comment on the Tutorial Section of the site (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/comment-tutorial-section-site-t159351.html)

Lainee 10-10-2011 05:35 AM

For a while now many members have been posting links to remote sites in the Tutorial section even though this is stated on the entry tab "Lessons posted/uploaded by our members. (not links to remote sites)".

I much prefer seeing the tutorials done by members even though the photography may not always be the best and there may be typos. It's generous of members to share remote site tutorial finds, but they should be posted here in Main...in my opinion and not cluttering up the Tutorial section...my 2 cents on that.

QuiltE 10-10-2011 05:48 AM

I guess I'm a little different ... if I'm looking for a tutorial, I like to know I can go to one place and find them all.

I can then decipher whether I want the one created by a board member or one from another site. Or .... as in most cases, I will review them all as they will each have something extra!

qbquilts 10-10-2011 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lainee
For a while now many members have been posting links to remote sites in the Tutorial section even though this is stated on the entry tab "Lessons posted/uploaded by our members. (not links to remote sites)".

I much prefer seeing the tutorials done by members even though the photography may not always be the best and there may be typos. It's generous of members to share remote site tutorial finds, but they should be posted here in Main...in my opinion and not cluttering up the Tutorial section...my 2 cents on that.

Actually they should probably be posted in the links/resources section of the board, not the Main section.

dakotamaid 10-10-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts

Actually they should probably be posted in the links/resources section of the board, not the Main section.

Ditto.

NanaCsews2 10-10-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I guess I'm a little different ... if I'm looking for a tutorial, I like to know I can got to one place and find them all.

I can then decipher whether I want the one created by a board member or one from another site. Or .... as in most cases, I will review them all as they will each have something extra!

My thoughts too. But I do get a little confused sometimes going into a topic and wondering why it wasn't elsewhere. I am so guilty of doing this too! Thanks moderators for watching this and putting it where it belongs-

marknfran 10-10-2011 07:30 AM

Guess I feel different. If we relied on the members tutorials I would never learn as much as I have since it would limit the number.

LLWinston44 10-10-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I guess I'm a little different ... if I'm looking for a tutorial, I like to know I can go to one place and find them all.

I agree totally

Tartan 10-10-2011 07:50 AM

I very rarely follow a link to another site. I do have a good virus program but I don't want to take the chance of messing up my computer. I also don't usually download anything. I am computer challenged so I err on the side of caution.

Peckish 10-10-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran

I much prefer seeing the tutorials done by members even though the photography may not always be the best and there may be typos.

Guess I feel different. If we relied on the members tutorials I would never learn as much as I have since it would limit the number.

I agree with this! I actually became a member of this board because someone here linked to a tutorial I wrote. I was unaware of the board until this happened. As Martha would say, it's a Good Thing! :)

Lainee 10-10-2011 09:02 AM

You are absolutely right...didn't even think about that section because it's a place I've never looked in...would rather search out my tutorial options if I'm trying something new and need help.

I went back and looked at 4-5 pages of the Tutuorial section and not one gave any indication in the title that it was a link to someone elses tutorial. A lot of member make many interesting original items (I'm not one of them) or have many cleaver shortcuts (again not one of them) that many members ask them to share...it just seams to me that this is the proper place for it and the links section is for remote tutorials and such...OK I'm up to 5 cents by now.

Originally Posted by qbquilts