Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Commissioning a Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/commissioning-quilt-t228231.html)

Rainforest_elf 08-18-2013 12:01 PM

Commissioning a Quilt?

I'm looking to have a quilt made, because I don't think I have the skills or the patience to do it myself. I posted a few months ago, looking for the name of a pattern of this quilt:
http://countrycrossroadsquilters.com...um-287x383.jpg After reading through the thread, doing my own research, and thinking on it for a time, I've all but given up on finishing this quilt in the next 30 years. I just don't have the skill, or time to finish it.

I've literally been working on this quilt, on and off, for 5 years, and I will probably never get it finished unless I enlist some help. You see, it was supposed to be a graduation gift for my little sister. She's now graduated from college, and she still has no quilt. I'm a bad big sister.

All of the fabric and colors have already been purchased, and about 3/4th of it is cut into working pieces. Half are just cut to sizable squares, the other are cut into diamonds, ready to be sewn. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a decent quilter who takes custom orders, and would be willing to work with me on cost, because the fabric and some of the work is already done. Most of the quilter's I've found so far (off Etsy) who will do custom orders, they are very expensive, and I feel like what I'm asking for is sort of specialized, and not just a straight up "pick a pattern and your colors and I'll make something for you!) Maybe what I'm asking for is more difficult than I realize...

I really just don't know where to go to get a reasonable quote since I have a lot of the ground work already done, it's just the piecing and finishing that needs to be done. Can anyone offer some suggestions? People you've worked with in the past who you've been happy with? Websites I can go to find someone who might be willing to take on a special, custom project like this?

auntpiggylpn 08-18-2013 12:50 PM

You could go to your local quilt shop and see if they know of someone who can help you. Do an Internet search for local quilt guilds in your area. Surely someone there would be able to help you or direct you to someone who can. It is a beautiful quilt!

dunster 08-18-2013 01:18 PM

What size do you want your quilt to be and how much do you think would be a reasonable charge for someone to make it for you? If you state those parameters, then either someone on the board will be willing to take it on or let you know that your expectations are unreasonable. I agree that finding a guild or other group could be very beneficial. You might find someone there who would be willing to take on the project, but finishing the quilt yourself may still be the best option. Most hobbyist quilters prefer to work on their own projects, and those who quilt for hire do expect to be paid for their time, materials, and expertise. When you add up the number of hours involved in piecing and quilting, you will be surprised at how much an average quilt should cost. Your project involves lots of set-in seams, which are more time consuming than regular seams. You state that all that needs to be done is the piecing and finishing - and some of the cutting - so really that's 95% of the work.

Rainforest_elf 08-18-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6241535)
What size do you want your quilt to be and how much do you think would be a reasonable charge for someone to make it for you? If you state those parameters, then either someone on the board will be willing to take it on or let you know that your expectations are unreasonable. I agree that finding a guild or other group could be very beneficial. You might find someone there who would be willing to take on the project, but finishing the quilt yourself may still be the best option. Most hobbyist quilters prefer to work on their own projects, and those who quilt for hire do expect to be paid for their time, materials, and expertise. When you add up the number of hours involved in piecing and quilting, you will be surprised at how much an average quilt should cost. Your project involves lots of set-in seams, which are more time consuming than regular seams. You state that all that needs to be done is the piecing and finishing - and some of the cutting - so really that's 95% of the work.

My plan was to have it a queen sized quilt, about 90x90. Since all the materials are bought, but as you said, the "tough" work is what I'm hoping to pass on, I was looking for around $500 to complete my project. I absolutely do not want to insult anyone, as I know how much time and artistic ability it takes to make a beautiful quilt, but I do have a budget I need to try and stay within. So, I might just need an attitude adjustment and a few solid quilting weekends where I just knock this baby out. But when all is said and done, I want to give this project to someone experienced to complete.

I realize that many custom made quilts start at around $1000 (or more, depending on the pattern and work involved), so I might just be underestimating how much work is involved here with my figure.

mermaid 08-18-2013 01:53 PM

If I might jump in with a suggestion...most towns, cities have a Sr Citizen's Center. In almost all of them (I'd venture to say) there will be a quilting group that gathers and, at specific times, will put together quilts for the purpose of selling to raise money for other Sr. projects. I would almost guarantee they would take on your project for a reasonable donation. You could even ask for a fee estimate. Not only are they mostly excellent quilters, but you would be doing a service for the neighborhood center. And as mentioned above, there are quilt guilds, clubs, etc that might take your project on. Go to a local fabric store (LQS) and start a conversation with people who work there--they know their regular quilting customers. It looks like the beginning of a very pretty quilt--which your sister has probably already lost all hope of owning. LOL

QM 08-18-2013 02:05 PM

Good luck getting what you want. I don't take commissions anymore, or I would enjoy this challenge.

MomNanaWolf 08-19-2013 06:14 AM

if you send me all the information on what pattern it is and what you want for quilting design I may be able to help you out for the price you stated. Just send me a pm thanks MOMNANAWOLF