Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Comparing Quality fabric, Poorly Made Fabric and Vintage Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/comparing-quality-fabric-poorly-made-fabric-vintage-fabrics-t102533.html)

grugirl 02-23-2011 07:41 PM

I have really experienced a huge amount of enlightenment as to the quality of fabrics while I have been cutting out my current apple core quilt I am working on.

I am amazed at the serious variation of it all. I am using many vintage fabrics, some older and thinner, some newer and thinner and some very good quality fabrics as well. This is a charm apple core and I need just over 800 for a queen size quilt. Having access to already over 400 different fabrics that I have sorted, ironed, traced on and cut out has given me insight that I never thought I would gain from this experience.
So, why the post? Tell me about your views of vintage fabric whether you think it is quality or cheap, comparing such things as stiffness or thread count or anything else you think is pertinent to comparing fabrics.

Texasjunebug 02-23-2011 08:01 PM

After not having the time to quilt for so many years, I'm now getting back into the market. Trying to catch up on what's good is a real job! I figured I could count on RJR, but many of the names I bought years ago, I can't find. Today, I've been looking at Granite Beauty Glitter Teal from fabric.com. Went to AE Nathan fabrics to find out more about the piece, and what coordinating fabrics are available, and could not find it - no search option! If anyone has used this, I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

I just bought some Moda and Southsea Imports, and can't tell the difference in quality - love the feel of both of them. Have made up some from Connecting Threads, and have been very pleased. Still have some of the old stuff in storage, and I'm anxious to get reacquainted!

grugirl 02-23-2011 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
After not having the time to quilt for so many years, I'm now getting back into the market. Trying to catch up on what's good is a real job! I figured I could count on RJR, but many of the names I bought years ago, I can't find. Today, I've been looking at Granite Beauty Glitter Teal from fabric.com. Went to AE Nathan fabrics to find out more about the piece, and what coordinating fabrics are available, and could not find it - no search option! If anyone has used this, I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

I just bought some Moda and Southsea Imports, and can't tell the difference in quality - love the feel of both of them. Have made up some from Connecting Threads, and have been very pleased. Still have some of the old stuff in storage, and I'm anxious to get reacquainted!

Ewwww.. How exciting. I love the whole idea of getting reacquainted with fabric too. For 3 years all of my fabric was bagged, boxed and stored in storage during my move from Alaska and after. It took 2 years to fully unpack and sort it all. I just found more in one of my last 2 boxes I opened the other day. It was truly a Xmas day! Enjoy!

Lilrain 02-23-2011 10:58 PM

I am thinking that there were different grades of fabric way back just as there are now. I wouldn't use anything in my quilt that seems too thin, and I would check for strength of the vintage fabrics, as some could benot so strong anymore. they would make you very unhappy if they disintigrated after very little use.

CarrieAnne 02-24-2011 05:39 AM

I just bought some vintage fabric from a lady here. The quality seems really nice, maybe denser than the fabrics now. I sure love the patterns!