Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Computer quilting....how many have a computer assisted Long Arm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/computer-quilting-how-many-have-computer-assisted-long-arm-t201739.html)

feline fanatic 09-28-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5547107)
. I was not even thinking about the computer guided ones although I know they exist. To me, they are something for the real pros, the people who make thier living quilting.

Google images of these pros none of them use a computer and they all make their living via quilting:
Karen McTavish
Green Fairy
Angela Walters
Mainely Quilts of love (http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/)

Or how about some of our very own QB pros
Charismah
Bobbielinks

Prissnboot 09-28-2012 08:58 AM

My husband went to the Houston quilt show with me last year - it was his first show, and he got to see longarms. He saw a computerized one, and said "That's not quilting, that's manufacturing!"

I think it kind of depersonalizes the end result somewhat, although the end result often turns out much better than my hands could manage...

Mariposa 09-28-2012 09:05 AM

I have an HQ 16, but not the ProStitcher. Were funds available, it may be fun to try. But I also enjoy doing the FMQ. What fun!

Tashana 09-28-2012 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5547193)
Google images of these pros none of them use a computer and they all make their living via quilting:
Karen McTavish
Green Fairy
Angela Walters
Mainely Quilts of love (http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/)

Or how about some of our very own QB pros
Charismah
Bobbielinks

Wow! There is still hope for me. I am not giving up on quilting on my DSM but I am saving for my Bailey. Never mind the computer, the quilters you mentioned are amazing. Something to strive for and practice, practice, PRACTICE!

LadyElisabeth 09-28-2012 10:32 AM

I have a mid-arm and don't have the computer aid but wish I did. My grandson quilts beautifully on the machine, but I only quilt my own quilts.

Thumbelina 09-28-2012 05:32 PM

I just got my pro-stitcher installed onto my HQ 16 today. I was at work while my husband was hooking it up so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, hopefully tomorrow. I start working at noon to 4 or 5, so sometime before or after.

snipforfun 09-28-2012 06:10 PM

A friend of mine just won a ribbon for best computerized quilting - she doesnt even have a computer on her longarm. Some judge determined it was entered in the wrong category!

Silver Needle 09-28-2012 08:53 PM

I am a computerized quilter and believe there is plenty of "art" and skill involved in doing computerized quilting. We have the Intelliquiter on our APQS Millenium. It takes "art" to select the right pattern to enhance NOT overpower the piecing or fabrics a client or myself have chosen. And it takes skill to use all the many possibilities Intelliquilter offers for modification and manipulation of designs. I spent 45 hours in private lessons with Suzanne Moreno learning about Intelliquilter and the creator Zoltan keeps coming up with even better features all the time with FREE updates. I like computerized quilting so much I am taking another 45 hour set of private lessons with her to learn digitizing so I can create my own designs. Karen McTavish has many digitized designs for sale for computerized quilting. Why must we always be tearing down someone else's style or method. I don't put down those who who hand quit, freehand longarm nor those who fmq. Creativity is creativity no matter how it comes about.

luvstoquilt301 09-29-2012 02:48 AM

It is not easy to get those computer things perfect. It is a whole other skill set.

THAT being said--I bought a used HQ16 that does not even have a stitch regulator. I just wanted to do my own quilts and I do ALOT. I have done a few for close friends and they think they are beautiful.

If money were not an object, I would have a Avante with a computer. I would build a business. I believe is paying
cash for things so that is not happening.

I am so very grateful I could afford this used set up and have the room for it. I can get quilts done quickly and sent off to the charity of my choice. I LOVE not having to baste. So many people trade up as soon as a newer model comes out. You can find some good deals used for sure.

knlsmith 09-29-2012 03:46 AM

I have a TL 18 LS and just added the Quilt Magician to it a couple months ago. I love it! I bought Pro Q Designer software a couple weeks ago so that I can create my own designs and edit purchased ones.

I appreciate that some don't believe it is quilting. But do you think your great grandmother who only had needle and thread would say that stitching with a treadle OR electric sewing machine would not be "real" quilting? Progress ladies and gentlemen, progress. And also, just because one has a computerized system doesn't mean that one does not still do "true" FMQ.
:)