Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Connecting Threads---Awesome prices! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/connecting-threads-awesome-prices-t106956.html)

Mamagus 03-11-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
XSQuilter, I have been ordering from connecting threads for a couple of years now and have never been disappointed I'm also from Canada...The only question I always have when I do order from there is the duty/tax they charge me...I've order lots of places out of the US and haven't paid duty yet...but their prices are really good, so I just kinda over look it.

When you order from Connecting Threads they don't collect DUTY but they do collect GST. That's fine with me. I just got a 43.00 order from Clotilde that was hung up at the border for two weeks AND when it arrived I had to pay GST and a 5.00 handling fee. It is worth it to me to pay the GST to Connecting Threads and know I won't have to wait and maybe pay double!

Also to the Canadians who order, you may notice that U.S. orders over 50.00 get free postage? Well Connecting Threads discounts Canadian orders of over 50.00 by the same amount! So if they can post a package for 4.00 to their U.S. customers, they take 4.00 off our postage costs. That's great service in my books.

bamamama 03-11-2011 08:17 PM

I've been told that I need to only use King Tut and Sew fine thread on my Tin Lizzie. My LQS is the only local place to buy it and they charge $32 for a 2000 yd spool. OUCH. I know you could use other threads, I've gotta find something less expensive that does not mess with my tension.

deema 03-11-2011 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella
I have ordered from them a couple of times and I too am in Canada...from what I hear on this board about prices our prices for LQS fabrics are much higher here...so even with the shipping charges it is a great deal...I don't find fabric here for $3.00 and if you do the quality is not LQS...the last time I ordered about 30 yards on sale for under $100..can't beat that...and I was very pleased with the quality of the cotton..

lol I could have written your post -- every word. My last order from CT was about 30 yards...oh wait, not the last one, the one before that. The last one was a few pkgs of the Hobbs batting that was on sale and a few thread packs and 4 yards...lol Considering my LQS charges $60 for a queen size batting (W&N) and it seems the Hobbs needle punched cotton is comparable, it was totally worth it to shop online and pay shipping.

Rose L 03-11-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I've been told that I need to only use King Tut and Sew fine thread on my Tin Lizzie. My LQS is the only local place to buy it and they charge $32 for a 2000 yd spool. OUCH. I know you could use other threads, I've gotta find something less expensive that does not mess with my tension.

Just buy a couple of spools to start with, they ship quickly, so you can always reorder if the thread works for you. I was planning to buy some from CT but the other users on the Bailey forum say that it doesn't work well in the Bailey machines. Just a heads up that it may or may not work out on your TL.

Rose L 03-11-2011 08:28 PM

I recently ordered some of the Hobbs batting too, to give it a try but haven't used it yet so the jury is still out for me on that.

I loved their prices so I recently made a second order for a quilt kit that I am planning to make for my DD2's graduation. The fabric looks great!

Feather3 03-11-2011 08:37 PM

I also shopped last night. Bought 13.25 yards & thread. I placed a restriction on my order. Checked today & it was on hold with a message to call them. So I called, figuring some of the clearance fabrics I ordered may not be available. CS Rep told me they have it all & will ship soon :).

earthwalker 03-11-2011 08:39 PM

:( They don't ship to Aus......Ah well!

sewingsuz 03-11-2011 08:40 PM

I did the same thing. Great prices.

leahbug 03-11-2011 09:44 PM

I have ordered from Connecting Threads 3 times now and have been very pleased with my purchase.

jtapp9 03-11-2011 09:50 PM

Guess I need to go check them out and actually order something. I keep talking myself out of spending money. Crazy, I know!