Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Connecting Threads & Fabric.com (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/connecting-threads-fabric-com-t114591.html)

Vickymomof6 04-08-2011 04:27 PM

This is the first I ever heard of problems with Connecting Thread.... I have never bought from them. I have done business with Fabric.com and I'm happy every time.

fabric_fancy 04-08-2011 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i should mention that i shop online for fabric 99.99% of the time.

when i receive fabric i inspect for flaws and that the length/width is correct the moment i open the boxes.

Connecting Threads = ordered 9 yards of one fabric - measured it and it was 8 yards - i'm short an entire yard.

called them and they said i have to send it back because its cut by a machine and its never off.

i explained that the machine certainly does make mistakes because i'm looking at it.

isn't it easier to put a yard in the mail to me - i don't care that its two difference pieces - i'm just gonna cut it up any way.

she says, we have to confirm the mistake.

i said, don't you think its a tremendous waste of money and time for a fabric that costs $4 a yard.

i'm going to mail you 8 yards and then you're going to mail me back 9 yards - when just popping a yard in the mail today settles the problem.

if you think i'm lying about the missing yard wouldn't i just cut off a yard now and send you 8 back???

this isn't going to prove anything except that its not a cost effective way to do business.

needless to say, neither her nor her manager saw the logic and they are paying to pick up the fabric and then paying to ship it corrected back out to me.

shopping experience was a major fail!

Fabric. com = i ordered 8 yards of one fabric and received 8.5 yards. then i ordered 3 other fabrics all 1.5 yards and received an extra 3 inches on all of those pieces.

the fabrics look great and i saved either $50 from the other online sellers or $90 if i had purchased it from the LQS.

plus i received 2 coupons in the package for my next purchases along with a free seam gauge.

so over the moon transaction.

you did NOT get extra fabric from fabric.com...if you read their info they always sell you a METER, not a yard of fabric, you got what you paid for!

as for CT, I have never had them tell me that...always just sent me the fabric I was short!

here's the link to what Fabric.com says - read our generous cuts section

http://www.fabric.com/SitePages/WhyShop.aspx

its 1 inch extra for every yard.

i got an extra 3 inches on each of the 1.5 yards so that is more then what they say on their website that you will receive.

it should have been 1.5 inches extra i got 3 inches extra.

on the 8 yards that i ordered i should have received an extra 8 inches and i got 18 extra inches - that a full 10 inches more then they state on the website.

it clearly says for every Yard (not meter) we cut you will receive another inch.

BellaBoo 04-08-2011 07:24 PM

I'm a big fan of Connecting Threads fabric. The quilts I have made using their fabrics from years ago are still very nice, no fraying or shredding at all.
I have had a few problems with fabric.com which were taken care of but not without wasting a lot of my time getting the problems settled.

sew_southern 04-08-2011 08:21 PM

I've not had problems with either one, although I only buy charms, strips, etc. from CT. I love Fabric.com though because of the selection of designers, the free shipping with $35 purchase and they always send a coupon for a future purchase. And y'all know it doesn't take much to get the free shipping. :)

Grandma58 04-08-2011 08:26 PM

I agree with you about sending it back, your post made me laugh though.

dreamer2009 04-08-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

i should mention that i shop online for fabric 99.99% of the time.

when i receive fabric i inspect for flaws and that the length/width is correct the moment i open the boxes.

Connecting Threads = ordered 9 yards of one fabric - measured it and it was 8 yards - i'm short an entire yard.

called them and they said i have to send it back because its cut by a machine and its never off.

i explained that the machine certainly does make mistakes because i'm looking at it.

isn't it easier to put a yard in the mail to me - i don't care that its two difference pieces - i'm just gonna cut it up any way.

she says, we have to confirm the mistake.

i said, don't you think its a tremendous waste of money and time for a fabric that costs $4 a yard.

i'm going to mail you 8 yards and then you're going to mail me back 9 yards - when just popping a yard in the mail today settles the problem.

if you think i'm lying about the missing yard wouldn't i just cut off a yard now and send you 8 back???

this isn't going to prove anything except that its not a cost effective way to do business.

needless to say, neither her nor her manager saw the logic and they are paying to pick up the fabric and then paying to ship it corrected back out to me.

shopping experience was a major fail!

Fabric. com = i ordered 8 yards of one fabric and received 8.5 yards. then i ordered 3 other fabrics all 1.5 yards and received an extra 3 inches on all of those pieces.

the fabrics look great and i saved either $50 from the other online sellers or $90 if i had purchased it from the LQS.

plus i received 2 coupons in the package for my next purchases along with a free seam gauge.

so over the moon transaction.

you did NOT get extra fabric from fabric.com...if you read their info they always sell you a METER, not a yard of fabric, you got what you paid for!

as for CT, I have never had them tell me that...always just sent me the fabric I was short!

here's the link to what Fabric.com says - read our generous cuts section

http://www.fabric.com/SitePages/WhyShop.aspx

its 1 inch extra for every yard.

i got an extra 3 inches on each of the 1.5 yards so that is more then what they say on their website that you will receive.

it should have been 1.5 inches extra i got 3 inches extra.

on the 8 yards that i ordered i should have received an extra 8 inches and i got 18 extra inches - that a full 10 inches more then they state on the website.

it clearly says for every Yard (not meter) we cut you will receive another inch.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ceil 04-08-2011 08:48 PM

When I've had problems with Fabric.com they correct it right away. Their cuts are at least 1 inch over and several times have been more.
I have placed 5 orders recently with Connecting Threads. I have found their fabric to be of very high quality, not thin at all and surprisingly thicker than many of the big name fabrics. They have not shorted me either and, as a plus, they are very close to on grain or are on grain. With the Fabric.com fabric, that extra bit is often eaten up or nearly so by the fact that they're not always straight cuts. At Connecting Threads I have ordered fat quarters and very often get an extra piece with the fat quarters. I'm not sure why this is. I have measured to see if the fat quarter is short, but that has not been the case. I do like the selection at Fabric.com better in that they often have some of the latest lines but often not very much of it but with their coupons and free shipping over $35, usually I can get a very good deal. Sometimes I can get the same name fabric cheaper at other sites such as Old Country Stores or Fabric Depot.
I can't imagine that you were given a hard time at Connecting Threads as they have been so very nice whenever I've called with a question. As I've had no problems with my orders I can't say how they have been when a problem has arisen, however. I would call them again and tell someone else what has happened as it is possible that you and the first person have somehow misunderstood each other. I think with all the positive experiences here with that company that you should try that approach. I know I would do so and state that you think that there must have been some misunderstanding. Good luck.

cathylynn 04-08-2011 10:22 PM

hmmm. just received 16 yards of fabric from Connecting Threads and am quite happy with the quality. shipping was free and received the order promptly. will definitely order from them again.

Katia 04-08-2011 11:34 PM

I have had nothing but great service from both Connecting Threads and Fabric.com. No complaints here. I usually get over what I order from Connecting Threads and also agree that it is cut on grain more so then other places.I've ordered a lot of fabric from both places.

I LOVE their thread too, great quality, no lint and excellent value. I learned a long time ago that thread quality is as important and fabric quality, maybe more. And CT thread lives up to that.

But with all things the people on the phones are only human and could have been having a bad day, or something. I am sure a human had to have operated the machine that cut the fabric as well, so the mistake could have been an input error. Anyway, I hope they correct the mistake and make it right.

sak658 04-09-2011 12:00 AM

I have ordered lots of fabric from Connecting Threads, and I have loved every piece, excellent quality fabric. Sews up fantastic, lot thicker than mosts. And I've never had anything but excellent service from them..