Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Connecting Threads . . . I'm tempted to order some 50 wt for piecing. Yes/No/Maybe? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/connecting-threads-im-tempted-order-some-50-wt-piecing-yes-no-maybe-t221683.html)

patti p 05-17-2013 12:29 PM

I have used CT thread and it works good For Free Motion, I have just resently purchased Auril and it is pricy but it looks like it will work just as fine.

ckcowl 05-17-2013 01:23 PM

I've been buying threads from connecting threads for a couple years now- have no complaints- great prices, good thread and a wonderful selection of colors

BellaBoo 05-17-2013 01:40 PM

I use Connecting Threads 70wt poly on the cone. It's strong and makes a great bobbin thread when piecing. The 50 wt 3 ply is thicker then I like for piecing but it does fine with a larger needle size in my Bernina, Janome, Brother and Singer. I don't use the 50wt 3 ply in the bobbin. Aurifil is a brand name of Italian Egyptian Mako cotton, another brand of the same thread is Genziana. I buy it at Tristan Italian Threads. I have dozens of different brands of thread and each one is better at some sewing then others. My preference out of every thread I have ever used is silk thread. No lint, ever, and it's very strong and thin.

cindi 05-17-2013 03:26 PM

I've used Connected Threads cotton thread exclusively for piecing for the past 4 years. Yes, it's a little linty, but I don't care. I've always cleaned my machine thoroughly between every quilt anyway. I buy the larger cones for piecing, and the price can't be beat. I save my thread money for pretty threads when I quilt the quilt! Give it a try, you'll really like it.

carslo 05-17-2013 03:30 PM

I use the Ct's polyester cone on my Viking Sapphire 830 for piecing and the FMQ everyone has said what I can say. I do love the Aurifil and I buy it over the internet from Tristian in Richmond BC Canada where I am from :) I buy the grab bags of beige and also splurged once and got the variegated - this threads goes a long way!

mucky 05-17-2013 03:31 PM

I didn't like it as was a heavier weight than my machine liked.

DogHouseMom 05-17-2013 03:38 PM

I'm one of the people that disliked it so much I actually traded it away for other stuff. Hated it actually.

Too linty. I quilted perhaps 3 yards and my machine was covered in lint.
It's a thicker 50wt thread than most of the others (Aurifil & Gutterman certainly), you'll need a larger needle.
I found that it lacks "sheen" or "luster". It's dull and flat looking. Hold it up and compare to a similar color Aurifil and you'll see the difference. I think the dullness is from the fuzziness of the thread - which is present even before running it through your machine.

BUT ... I suggest that YOU try it. Purchase a single spool in a color that you know you'll use and give it a try. Don't be like me ... I purchased 12 spools for a quilting project, used about 5 yards of one color and ditched it.

Jan in VA 05-17-2013 03:51 PM

I use Connecting Threads thread in my mechanical Berninas and it's fine. But I might not do so if I was running a fancy, expensive computerized machine, probably would go the Aurifil route then.

Jan in VA

TexasSunshine 05-17-2013 04:41 PM

I have used CT threads in my older Pfaff, my Brother and on my Longarm. I have been pleased with it in all my machines and would recommend it.

Girlfriend 05-17-2013 07:37 PM

I found the Connecting Thread broke easily...perhaps I received a bad batch?