Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   contents of quilt pattern books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/contents-quilt-pattern-books-t61640.html)

myrna 08-27-2010 08:20 AM

I resist buying quilt pattern books on line. Their covers are always so inviting, but without seeing what is inside, I shake my head and move on. When I am in a LQS, I can flip thru and see if it has patterns I want to use. Does anyone else feel this way too?

np3 08-27-2010 08:27 AM

I never pay full price online unless I have seen the book before. Sometimes when I see a book at a good price online I will try and find it at the Library or a local bookstore to see what it has inside. If I like it, I will go back and order it.

I recently ordered a book that was discounted and was very disappointed with it, but at least I didn't pay a lot for it.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-27-2010 08:29 AM

I rarely buy books anymore. I had so many I had to thin out my stash. With the internet I find everything I want. I like historical books though by people like Barbara Brackman. Very informative and great reference.

littlehud 08-27-2010 08:46 AM

I agree. There may be nothing I want in there. It seems a waste to me if the only pattern I use is the one on the cover.

NancyG 08-27-2010 08:58 AM

I agree. If it is not recommended to me, I shy away from purchasing without seeing it first. I just purchased 2 quilting book that were recommended on this Board, and was very happy with them. Got them very reasonably priced thru Amazon.com.

Quilter7x 08-27-2010 08:59 AM

www.connectingthreads.com allows you to "see" inside 6-8 pages of a book - this is a fabulous feature to have for a website, and I have bought books there because of it.

Yes, if I cannot see inside a book, I won't likely get it.

Jim's Gem 08-27-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
www.connectingthreads.com allows you to "see" inside 6-8 pages of a book - this is a fabulous feature to have for a website, and I have bought books there because of it.

Yes, if I cannot see inside a book, I won't likely get it.

I love the fact that Connecting Threads lets you do this. I have purchased a couple books through them because I could see inside.
Like the rest of you, I won't buy it unless I can see what is inside the book.

twistedstitcher 08-27-2010 09:11 AM

If I see a book online I think I might be interested in, I check to see if it's available at the library. If my local library doesn't have it, they can often get it from another library. That way I can decide if it's something I have to to have or can do without...and most of the time I can do without it.

grann of 6 08-27-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by myrna
I resist buying quilt pattern books on line. Their covers are always so inviting, but without seeing what is inside, I shake my head and move on. When I am in a LQS, I can flip thru and see if it has patterns I want to use. Does anyone else feel this way too?

Yes, I look around for the new books and decide if I like what is inside. Then I watch for a good price or sale before I buy it. I belong to crafterschoice.com book club. They are always having some special deal. This month was buy 2 books and get the next one for 9.99. I have been a member a long time so I get good discounts. So I was able to get some that I have been wanting. Am excited to get my stack n whack book.

Mattee 08-27-2010 10:45 AM

Amazon often has a feature that also lets you see inside a book. That helps a lot.