Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Continuing Quilting Board Quilt Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/continuing-quilting-board-quilt-contests-t186045.html)

Rhonda 04-14-2012 10:56 AM

Continuing Quilting Board Quilt Contests

Over the last year I have posted several quilt contests for our members to enter and enjoy voting on.

But the entries are not very many. I know everyone enjoys the voting but I would like to see more than 5 entries. We are not a small forum! I would like to see more involvement

So I need to know if anyone is still interested in entering the contests.

Let me know what you think. I am more than happy to choose some types of contests that are popular for everyone but I do need some ideas of where to go with this if we continue.

1. I can post 4 - 5 contests to be done over several months like I did before
2. I can post just one contest at a time with a 3 month window

One problem is people aren't seeing the info for the contests. I need to get more people involved if we are going to continue

So suggestions are welcome and then I can take this to Patrice and we can decide how to proceed.

Thanks everyone and I hope to hear some good constructive ideas!! Rhonda

luvTooQuilt 04-14-2012 11:03 AM

i love the contests.. i love seeing what everyone creates. However I am guilty for not 'joining' my skill level is no where near what ive seen on the QB... So maybe, how about a 'newbie' contest? just an idea.. Im not a newbie either just figured it would be a great way to get the newcomers out of their shell..

how about a before and after contest.. post a pic of their very first one then the their latest one??

Scissor Queen 04-14-2012 11:47 AM

To be honest, I think some of it is all the restrictions. I know there were a couple I would have considered but the size restriction was the hold back.

Rhonda 04-14-2012 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5140692)
To be honest, I think some of it is all the restrictions. I know there were a couple I would have considered but the size restriction was the hold back.

The last one I allowed anything any size but it had to be Kaleidoscopes. We had 5 enter if I remember right. There have to be some restrictions or it wouldn't be a fair contest.

leatheflea 04-14-2012 12:23 PM

I didn't even know that there were contest this year. I thought I saw some last year. So I think the big issue would be informing the entire group.

jcrow 04-14-2012 12:32 PM

I didn't even know about contests. I agree that an easy one would be great and more people would enter...especially newbies to quilting (and me with 20 years). Even tho I've quilted for years, I'm hesitant to try new things. Something fast and simple is what I would do!!! And maybe with larger blocks instead of a bunch of little blocks. Something fun and scrappy.

Tulip 04-14-2012 12:39 PM

I have enjoyed looking at the entries for the contests, although I have not entered any. Perhaps some of these have been done before, but here are a few ideas that would tempt me personally... scrappy, doll quilt, applique and even a block contest. That one really would be a draw as it is only one block, a person could be tempted to stretch out of their comfort zone. Just some thoughts.:o

Butterflyblue 04-14-2012 12:42 PM

I know for me, it has been a lack of time. The contests I remember looking at had a restriction about it being a quilt that hadn't been posted on here before. Since I post pictures of all of mine as soon as I make them, I didn't have any already made that could be entered, and no time to make a new one just for the contests.

DogHouseMom 04-14-2012 12:52 PM

I've enjoyed looking at the one's that I've seen - although I'm sure I've missed some (you mentioned a kaleidoscope - didn't see that), and when I've seen them I've voted. I don't think I've seen all of them.

I think the main reason I don't see all of them, might be the same reason others don't. My QB "usuage" is exclusive to hitting "What's new" and scrolling through the topics there. I don't go to individual forums. So if it's not "new" when I'm on board, I just plain don't see it. I know I've missed a few things by using the board this way (specifically contests and boomerang groups that I would have liked to join).

When I have seen the contests I have not had the opportunity to participate unfortunately. I think my biggest problem is that once they are announced the deadline comes up too quick for me. I'm not a fast quilter and I've usually got a project (or two, or three!) going on at the time. So time mostly has not allowed me to participate.

I would even like sponsor a contest ... with a prize! I have one already planned in the back of my head and had approached Patrice about it quite some time ago when I still new to the board. She had recommended that she prefer that we wait until I was an established member of the board (which I think I am now) and I nodded in agreement and completely understood her recommendation. So perhaps I'll get off my butt and put my thinking cap back on and sponsor a contest.

As for participating ... time will tell. All the planets need to be aligned right I guess (meaning my own quilting projects need to be accommodating).

Sue

Lori S 04-14-2012 01:53 PM

I too sometimes don't "find" the contests. Then when I do the size thing has always been at play for me. I prefer to make something I can really use once the contest is over.