Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Control freak vs. FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/control-freak-vs-fmq-t21974.html)

janRN 06-28-2009 05:06 AM

Being a control freak, I'm having trouble with FMQ. I've tried: Fabric Mover for my Viking (back in box, stuffed under bed); music (from ACDC to Yanni); fatigue; mouth guard (so I don't clench my teeth). Drop the feed-dogs? You might as well tell me to drop my pants!! Without feeddogs how do you control speed and stitch length? How do you know where the damn machine is going? Can I quilt with the feed dogs raised? Help!! You all do such beautiful work--please share your secrets. Thanks so much, Jan

Barbm 06-28-2009 05:12 AM

how about prozac? j/k

relax, practice on scrap "sandwiches". that's what I did- I like everything structured, always did stitch in the ditch. first efforts of FMQ were structured- like I was trying to copy what is in the books. Once I unclenched my fists and wiped the tears of frustration and loosened the tension in my shoulders, I sat down, said the heck with this, it's supposed to be fun, off I went.

Now I twirl and swirl and zip along. It's fun and fast. Give it another try. Smile as you are doing it.

(I remember my nephew saying how he looks for shapes in it, he thought he saw a dinosaur in one baby quilt).

Mousie 06-28-2009 05:12 AM

ok, here's a few secrets:...oh, wait...you mean about FMQ...sowwy, can't help there :wink:

sewsewquilter 06-28-2009 05:43 AM

I'm not a control freak (I don't think). :lol: But I did find it hard to let go. I took a class from a school teacher who has won awards with her art quilts. I did a lot of practice squares in class. She was a GREAT help. I am still not good but I'm having fun FM now. :D One she she had me do over and over was writing my name. After a few trys you could reading what I was writing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Esqmommy 06-28-2009 06:23 AM

I took a two-full day class in FMQ and still can't figure it out. I did sit down with a Bernina that has a Stitch Regular and I'm pretty sure that the feature will change my life with FMQ. now, does anyone have a spare $5000 they can lend me to get the Bernina I want? It's not much, really, when you think about it. RIGHT LADIES? Back me up here...I have a pitch I need to make, and need some great reasoning... :mrgreen:

bearisgray 06-28-2009 06:27 AM

I think the practice sandwiches are the best idea - done with the intention that it's okay for it to go into the scrap bag -

got an idea for what that can be used for! make it into every-day potholders!

then no need to feel guilty about the fabric being used.

tlrnhi 06-28-2009 07:15 AM

It's just practice, practice, practice!
I have to keep the feed dogs up on my machine when I FMQ. They can't drop them unless I am appliqueing.

Rose Marie 06-28-2009 08:08 AM

The fabric mover that is under the bed has a stitch regulator.
I have been thinking about getting the new one with the larger hole.
What is the problem you had with it?
How does it handle a large quilt?
I saw it demonstrated at a quilt show but of course only on a small piece of quilt. I want to see how it handles a large quilt.

mic-pa 06-28-2009 09:35 AM

Practice, practice, practice. I cut a square 8-9 inches in size with batting and a back on it. Then I started by writing my name/ I did lower the feed dogs, had the darning foot on my machine and started . I did not adust any tensions or other things related to the machine. I have a Janome. I describe it like playing the piano. YOu have to get a rythum going. My sister for the life of her cannot do it. So guess it is natural for some people to be OK with it and others not. so don't give up just yet. Marge

Shemjo 06-28-2009 09:39 AM

Practice and breathe! And practice some more while breathing.