Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Copyright question and board rules question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/copyright-question-board-rules-question-t171361.html)

RugosaB 12-08-2011 07:57 AM

Copyright question and board rules question

I have received requests for the pattern I used to make the paper pieced door wreath. It's a pattern I bought years ago, and no one has been able to find this company that produced it. We know who it is, and their address, but it does not seem to be around anymore.

1st question, do copyright laws still apply, or am I free to share it (for free of course)? It is sitting on this computer, I just used computer paper, and it would be so easy to just make a couple of clicks to share it.

I do honor copyright laws, because I do understand them, but in this case, do they still apply?

Also, I did a little research, mostly for my own interest, and I came up with many website that a photo of a quilted wreath is shown, using various methods to make it. Some, the pattern is on the site, some it's just an example of what that person did. I was blessed with the ability to kind of see how something is made, and use that photo as a way to design my own pattern (for me, I NEVER sell anything) and many of these photos fit that idea.
2nd question:
Can I post the list of sites here, or is it against board rules to do that?

QuiltnNan 12-08-2011 09:16 AM

You are welcome to post links to sites that you are not affiliated with and that do not require sign up, donations, or voting. As to the pattern that you bought, the copyright still applies for the original designer. You should contact the owner for permission to post the pattern here [as an attachment to a post, not "send me your email by PM"] Anytime the original designer is not known, you may not share the pattern. Blocks that are in the Public Domain can be shared, but the pattern/instructions, etc. may not. Thank you for asking about it.

Sandra in Minnesota 12-08-2011 01:29 PM

Phoey! I love paperpiecing, and a door wreath would be great. Oh well. Gotta follow the rules.

RugosaB 12-08-2011 07:01 PM

Thank you for answering, that's what I thought about the copyright thing

SueSew 12-08-2011 07:26 PM

If there is a 'not affiliated with' constraint on posts then why do many posters have in their signature their own website and blog wherein they sell quilting/craft products?
If the company who produced a pattern is OOB then why is that use restricted? I think permission would be given by default.
Does this site need an in-house attorney?
Is that last question satire? I am not sure.

lonestardreams 12-08-2011 07:28 PM

It's a beautiful door wreath.

Jan in VA 12-09-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 4762767)
.......Blocks that are in the Public Domain can be shared, but the pattern/instructions, etc. may not. Thank you for asking about it.

This brings to mind something I do that may have bothered some here if they have received from me articles that I have written instructions and drawn graphics for. I usually try to get these into pdf. format and I have my copyright on the bottom of each page.

I am well aware that many blocks are in the public domain, but the work that I have done to explain how to make these blocks, or do these tricks, is not, and that is what I copyright, as QuiltnNan states.

Just for clarity,
Jan in VA

barny 12-09-2011 01:49 PM

I wonder how many years copyright laws are in effect for designs,etc. ?

ghostrider 12-09-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 4766565)
I wonder how many years copyright laws are in effect for designs,etc. ?

Copyright, for intellectual property created from 1978 forward, lasts for 70 years past the date of death of the owner, longer if it has been renewed by the heirs. A chart may help.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ion-29483.html

IAmCatOwned 12-09-2011 03:23 PM

She'll just have to do a more diligent search. It retains copyright even if OOP. I have received permission from several magazines as well as one crochet designer to post long out of print pattern instructions (even templates) on my blog. I just have to figure out how to get my printer/scanner to talk to my computer.