Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton batting...can I preshrink? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-batting-can-i-preshrink-t150417.html)

Buckeye Rose 09-04-2011 04:21 PM

I want to use a cotton batting for a king size quilt, but don't want the shrink. Is there a way to preshrink?

sushi 09-04-2011 04:37 PM

The all-cotton batting I use is "Warm and Natural." Instructions for pre-shrinking are included when I buy it.

That said, I disobey those instructions most of the time. Because I have a front-loading washer (which is gentle to begin with), I wash the batting in it using the hand-wash setting with warm water. Then I dry it in my dryer on the delicate setting. Seems to work just fine.

Good luck!

Scissor Queen 09-04-2011 04:46 PM

I have a top loader. When I want to pre-shrink a batting I fill the washer full of hot water, turn it off and put the batting in. You'll have to push it into the water several times to get it all wet. I let it sit there ten to fifteen minutes and then turn the washer to spin. Once it's spun out I put it in the dryer on warm. You may have to pull the batting out of the dyer a couple of times and rearrange it so it all gets dry.

Lori S 09-04-2011 05:02 PM

Preshrinking a cotton batting that does not have a scrim can be difficult , what name /type is the batting you are trying to preshrink?
When I want to preshrink I typically buy Warm and Natural or Warm and white , it has a good sturdy scrim and holds up well to preshrinking.

Scissor Queen 09-04-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Preshrinking a cotton batting that does not have a scrim can be difficult , what name /type is the batting you are trying to preshrink?
When I want to preshrink I typically buy Warm and Natural or Warm and white , it has a good sturdy scrim and holds up well to preshrinking.

I never use Warm and Natural. I pre-shrink Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 all the time.

Buckeye Rose 09-04-2011 05:19 PM

I have been using the prepackaged 80/20 cotton batting that they sell at walmart and I really don't know what a "scrim" is to say if it has one or not....LOL.....they sell the warm and natural, but only 45" wide.....to get anything else requires a 35 mile trip to joann's

Prism99 09-04-2011 06:11 PM

Depends on the batting. Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cottong batting ***cannot*** be pre-shrunk. It is not needlepunched, needlepunched through scrim, or bonded. This is also why it needs to be quilted 2 inches apart!

Warm and Natural can be pre-shrunk because it is needlepunched through scrim.

I'm pretty sure Quilter's Dream cotton can be pre-shrunk because it is needlepunched (but not through scrim).

If Hobbs 80/20 can be preshrunk, as someone else mentioned, then it is probably because it is bonded very well.

Lori S 09-04-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose

I have been using the prepackaged 80/20 cotton batting that they sell at walmart and I really don't know what a "scrim" is to say if it has one or not....LOL.....they sell the warm and natural, but only 45" wide.....to get anything else requires a 35 mile trip to joann's

The 20 in the 80/20 is poly. The poly is typically the scrim which helps to bind or hold the cotton fibers in place.
There are few methods , one is to mist or spray it with enough water to get the fibers damp but not soaking wet, allowing plenty of time( aleast a few hours) for the moisture to soak into the fibers. Then toss into the dryer. It can be difficult to get the right amount evenly across a large bat by spraying.
You can also soak in the washer or dryer( again a few hours) , and gently spin and toss in the dryer. Note do periodically push the bat into the water , as some tend to want to float.
I find soaking in the tub to be problematic as getting it out of the tub ( alot of weight ) can pull on the fibers .
Some use a plastic laundry basket to soak and remove as not to strain the heavy bat.
The majority of the shrinkage will come from the heat of the dryer.

jitkaau 09-05-2011 02:50 AM

Sometimes our conditions specify our methods.I live in a small flat with no bath-just a shower.No wash tubs either.It all goes down a rather large pipe outlet.Therefore I wash nothing until it is quilted.There has been no problem so far and I think it is because everything is doing it's thing at the same time.

Sienna's GiGi 09-05-2011 02:56 AM

Good information. I never knew you could preshrink batting. Hummmmm. I learn something every day from here.