Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton fabric or not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-fabric-not-t42728.html)

csmomma2 04-14-2010 12:14 PM

I just received 2 large plastic containers of material from my Uncle. My Aunt was an avid crafter and she passed away 2 years ago. He is finally cleaning out her sewing room and knowing that I quilt he gave me some of her fabric. My question is: is there some way for me to determine if the fabric is 100% cotton. Some of it, I can tell by the feel but some I am not sure.
Thanks.

shequilts 04-14-2010 12:18 PM

'Easy solution for this. Snip a small cut from one edge of the fabric. Hold one end briefly over a lit match or lighter. The cotton fabric will burn quickly to ash. Poly will blacken and become hard.

csmomma2 04-14-2010 12:26 PM

Thank you so much. I thought I had read something about burning the fabric but I wasn't sure. I know that most of the fabric I got will probably be 50-50 blend. But, I still hope to be able to make my Uncle a lap quilt with some of the fabric as a thank you and a reminder of my Aunt.

Grandma Cindy 04-14-2010 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by csmomma2
Thank you so much. I thought I had read something about burning the fabric but I wasn't sure. I know that most of the fabric I got will probably be 50-50 blend. But, I still hope to be able to make my Uncle a lap quilt with some of the fabric as a thank you and a reminder of my Aunt.

One thing for sure ,he won't know the difference. He will only be pleased that you cared enough for both of them to make the gift...

Pam 04-14-2010 04:10 PM

That is right, I am sure he would be delighted with anything that you made for him, especially when it has her fabric in it.

littlehud 04-15-2010 07:33 AM

That's a wonderful idea. It should make him happy.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-15-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by shequilts
'Easy solution for this. Snip a small cut from one edge of the fabric. Hold one end briefly over a lit match or lighter. The cotton fabric will burn quickly to ash. Poly will blacken and become hard.

yes, that's what I was going to say.

Bluphrog 04-15-2010 08:41 AM

One suggestion is to try to make all the fabrics you use the same (all 50/50 blend or all 100% cotton) because the shrinkage rate will be different. Whatever you do, your uncle will love you and the quilt.

csmomma2 04-15-2010 02:27 PM

Thanks for all your help. I figured that as long as I was consistent in the type of fabric I used, I would be okay. I am obviously a novice quilter and have only bought 100% cotton for the few quilts that I have made. I won't be quilting till summer, as I am a teacher and spring is really hectic with the end of school coming, but I will try and post pictures of the quilt I make when I am done. I really enjoy looking at everyone's quilts. They are beautiful and an inspiration to me.