Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cotton lawn? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-lawn-t184475.html)

DogHouseMom 03-30-2012 02:53 PM

cotton lawn?

Just got a Connecting Threads catalog in, and they're advertising "New Cotton lawn". Went to the website for a description ....

"Cotton lawn is a lightweight, semi-sheer fabric that is similar to voile,
but slightly crisper and less transparent. It uses fine threads in a tighter
weave than quilting cotton, which results in a very smooth, buttery
soft fabric with a slight sheen and beautiful drape. Quilts made from
lawn are very lightweight, delicate, and soft, which is wonderful for
summertime or baby quilts. Lawn is also perfect for blouses, skirts,
children’s clothing, curtains, pillowcases and sleepwear."

Has anyone used cotton lawn before? I've never even heard of it.

momto5 03-30-2012 02:55 PM

It is NOT unique to CT, and it has been available for many, many years. In fact, I made my now 15 year old GD her Christening gown and set out of lawn...

Treasureit 03-30-2012 02:56 PM

Never heard of it! I would love to the answer too.

noveltyjunkie 03-30-2012 02:58 PM

I have heard of it as an apparel fabric (mainly from novels). I would not necessarily know it if i saw it.

QuiltE 03-30-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 (Post 5103215)
It is NOT unique to CT, and it has been available for many, many years. In fact, I made my now 15 year old GD her Christening gown and set out of lawn...

ITA been around forever!!!! ... some of the summer dresses I made as a teenager were made from lawn. As it said, it's much finer than traditional cotton yardages. Very nice and delicate, heading towards semi-sheer ... though for those reasons, I'm not sure I would use it for quilts. However that's JIMHO!

Tink's Mom 03-30-2012 03:00 PM

It is a garment fabric in my opinion. A little too sheer and lightweight for me in a quilt. I have made vintage looking doll dresses out of it...and some summer blouses.

QuiltnNan 03-30-2012 03:13 PM

like the other posters, i've always known it as garment fabric. CT seems to think it'd make a good quilt. i'll wait for others to try it and show the quilts in the Pictures forum LOL

PaperPrincess 03-30-2012 04:11 PM

As everyone else said, I've used it in garments, but the clothing wore well. I saw the new line at CT and I'm going to order a yard just to see what it's like. I love the prints! Also, the width is 54", which is a plus.

virtualbernie 03-30-2012 04:26 PM

If it's semi transparent wouldn't you have to "really" be careful of the batting showing through?

Peckish 03-30-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie (Post 5103438)
If it's semi transparent wouldn't you have to "really" be careful of the batting showing through?

Yes, I wouldn't use it for quilting. I'd use it for summer blouses, and actually lined my wedding dress with it. The dress was microfiber, and I wanted cotton next to my skin since the weather was warm.