Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Could someone explain something to me, please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/could-someone-explain-something-me-please-t189762.html)

callie8799 05-22-2012 11:32 PM

Could someone explain something to me, please?

I have been reading an article about organizing your stash and came across a line that said, basicallly- a finished square is 1/2 inch smaller than the original cut square. So if I have a 4 inch square, taken out of my red box, after sewing it to other squares, it should measure 3 1/2 inches - that is using 1/4 inch seam allowance. The accompanying illustration has the original square attached on all 4 sides.

****Why is the finished square only 3.5 inches and not 3 inches if you are sewing all 4 sides using a 1/4 inch seam allowance? After all, you are taking 1/4 inch off all 4 sides and 1/4+1/4+1/4+1/4=1***

I know math is not my strong suit, but am I that weak in it? :)

thank you so much! the things you think about when you have insomnia :p

Debbie

katesnanna 05-22-2012 11:40 PM

Because you only take 1/2inch from the length and 1/2 inch from the width.

virtualbernie 05-22-2012 11:44 PM

Because you are only taking 1/4" off EACH of the 4 sides. left and right, top and bottom.

sandyl 05-23-2012 02:19 AM

OH, I love this! This is indeed something that would keep me awake nights, too. It sure makes sense that 1/4 x 4 is 1. But when you split them up (1/4 on each side) it does boggle my mind, too. ......I hate math and always have-I usually call in help (DH).

happyquiltmom 05-23-2012 04:25 AM

Try it on a scrap of fabric and you'll get a visual of why it is true. You take 1/4" off the left, and 1/4" off the right, which adds up to 1/2" horizontally. Then you take 1/4" off the top and 1/4" off the bottom for a total of 1/2" vertically. So, your 4" square ends up being 3 1/2" at the end.

Holice 05-23-2012 04:41 AM

A similar case happened to me many years ago about the 7/8" added to a triangle.
I had to cut a square - say 6", then divide it diagonally into a triangle, then add the 1/4" all around and then measure the base to the tip of the diagonal line. It was 6 7/8". Then it all came clear to me.

bearisgray 05-23-2012 04:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5236765)
A similar case happened to me many years ago about the 7/8" added to a triangle.
I had to cut a square - say 6", then divide it diagonally into a triangle, then add the 1/4" all around and then measure the base to the tip of the diagonal line. It was 6 7/8". Then it all came clear to me.

This is the one I had to draw out for myself, too.

bakermom 05-23-2012 05:38 AM

Yeah the 7/8 was confusing for me too. Once I drew it out i became clear.

Nanamoms 05-23-2012 07:15 AM

This reminds me of my sister and I calculating measurements for an isolette cover. She's a nurse and I do accounting. We both calculate things in opposite ways. We just cracked up laughing while laying out our measurements...To hear us "arguing" over how to do it and both of us said this isn't rocket science!!

callie8799 05-23-2012 09:05 AM

First, thank you for the responses... I'm coming to the conclusion this is something I just need "to do" and not think about. if I need a certain size finished square, I just need to cut the fabric 1/2 inch larger than I need for I am taking a 1/2 inch off the width and length. If I need 1/2 square triangles, I need to add 7/8"... (going to make a cheat sheet at home)...

but I just can't get my head around the reasoning (tell ya, I'm not good at math reasoning) if I taking a 1/4 inch off each side (1/2 " total for width and 1/2" total for length) that still gives me 1" taken off for seam allowances. why isn't that calculated- for 1/2 off width + 1/2 off length = 1").

ugh. guess there are some things I will never understand and that's why we have cheat sheets.... but now I know why my current quilt has gotten wonky...

thank you! :