Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Couple of Tips for Dear Jane and anything else... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/couple-tips-dear-jane-anything-else-t189796.html)

Kitsie 05-23-2012 09:07 AM

Couple of Tips for Dear Jane and anything else...

4 Attachment(s)
I use freezer paper piecing (Thimbleberries method) for a lot of small intricate blocks like the DJ's. My great big roll of FP is 18" wide so I cut 6" WOF :) and then cut to 6" squares. Very cheap!! to print on them I use a piece of copy paper that I printed one block diagram on (I use the same one over and over).
Place the FB on the copy paper shiny side down and with your iron just run across the top edge of the FP. It loads really well into your printer and off you go! (One at a time is best)

These little boards are cut from foam display boards and I use them for blocking the DJ blocks using the spray starch and pin all around method for the wonky ones. Don't need for all, but what a help!! Boards available readily at Walmart, etc.

And finally a member showed how she used a ball-point pen top to hold her seam ripper, so I found this chap-stick tube (so I can put my tweezers in, too) and with a strip of the adhesive tape from the Command hooks I attached it and the little pin cushion right onto my machine!

Hope these help someone else!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337486[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337487[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337488[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337489[/ATTACH]

OK, I'm done! You can all go back to what you were doin' :thumbup:

QuiltnNan 05-23-2012 09:38 AM

thanks for the great tips!

landers1 05-23-2012 11:05 AM

Thank You, Great Tips

charlottemarie 05-23-2012 12:49 PM

That's a very good tip about the seam ripper and the pin cushion. Thank you. I'm doing that next thing tonite!

Grandma Bonnie 05-23-2012 04:44 PM

Great tips, Kitsie! Thanks!

nannyrick 05-23-2012 04:52 PM

Thanks very much!!!

Kitsie 05-23-2012 05:06 PM

Thanks guys! I love finding other members tips! They are often the best and the cheapest!!

Joset 05-24-2012 03:08 AM

great tip thank you.

jlm5419 05-24-2012 06:20 AM

I also like to use freezer paper for DJ blocks. However, I draw the block in a drawing program exactly to the size I need, including seam allowance, and print directly onto freezer paper. I use a free CAD software called progeCAD. To me it just seems easier than tracing the design onto the freezer paper. Also, if I weren't broke, I'd probably buy the CD with the designs on it and print from that.

Kitsie 05-24-2012 06:51 AM

I have the DJ book and am able to scan the diagrams into my computer then print them onto FP from there. They come out true to size. That way I also can make a smaller one to put in my own tutorials for myself!
Love Freezer paper!

Thanks for the tip about free progeCAD. Tried to download but it didn't work :( Will try again!

Originally Posted by jlm5419 (Post 5239644)
I also like to use freezer paper for DJ blocks. However, I draw the block in a drawing program exactly to the size I need, including seam allowance, and print directly onto freezer paper. I use a free CAD software called progeCAD. To me it just seems easier than tracing the design onto the freezer paper. Also, if I weren't broke, I'd probably buy the CD with the designs on it and print from that.