Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crayons and Quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crayons-quilt-question-t198283.html)

karensue 08-21-2012 12:40 PM

Crayons and Quilt question

HI

Within the past month someone posted a thread on using crayons on quilts, and I didn't bookmark it (duh), and now I found the perfect design to embroider, and then color with crayons.

Here are my questions now:

1) I will probably use cream color material but what is the best "type" of material (kona cotton, heavier type of decorator fabric, etc?) to use in this process ?

2) I am assuming that you use the old fashion "regular" Crayola crayons ?

3) And I think after you colored the material, you were suppose to put something (freezer paper, shiny side up or down?) over it to heat set it - is this correcct ? And which temperature ?

Thanks for any advice.

KarenSue

ckcowl 08-21-2012 12:59 PM

any fabric you want (100% cotton) will work- pre-wash it with detergent- do not add fabric softener- or sheets when drying (you are removing additives- don't want to add them back in) color your designs---DO NOT IRON THE SHINY SIDE OF FREEZER PAPER-YOU WILL HAVE PLASTIC MELTED TO YOUR IRON---
use a brown paper sack and press (heat set) the designs- the brown paper (or newsprint) will soak up the melted wax- leaving the color behind. you can re-color, in layers to deepen the color...and if after time it starts to fade you can re-color, re- heat set....the local pre-school i volunteer at has been doing these for almost 11 years now. (the freezer paper is used (press the shiny side to the back of the fabric-ironing on the paper side) to give the fabric stability so it can be colored- after coloring-before heat-setting the freezer paper is peeled off and can be re-used a number of times.

ckcowl 08-21-2012 01:02 PM

oh forgot to add the question about the crayons---there are (fairly expensive) fabric crayons---which you can purchase---but we have been using the dollar store crayons for years with great success. ... the most inexpensive crayons seem to have the deepest colors & when heat set hold the color the best...and of course- crayola has the biggest color assortment- any crayon will work- as long as they are not the washable (removable) crayons...those will wash away as they are intended to do

grammysharon 08-21-2012 01:15 PM

I have just taken the class from Terry Linn Kygar which is a melt-n-blend method. It is so much fun and super simple once you learn the technique. I suggest you get her book or one of her patterns. You just use regular crayons!!! She uses mainly white fabric that has not been washed.

Jackie Spencer 08-22-2012 04:11 AM

Hope someone can answer this, do I do the coloring before I do the embroidery?

judylg 08-22-2012 04:46 AM

I am watching this topic, too. I asked the same question yesterday, do not want to add a whole lot of color just a bit of highlighting. After all of the time this has taken, do not want to mess it up.

Fabricbug 08-22-2012 05:05 AM

There is a you-tube video by Terrie Kygar that shows a way of melting the crayon and blending on the fabric I have her book but haven't tried it yet! I would think you'd want to color first so you don't get the color on the thread.

JaniceP 01-08-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by karensue (Post 5457245)
HI

Within the past month someone posted a thread on using crayons on quilts, and I didn't bookmark it (duh), and now I found the perfect design to embroider, and then color with crayons.

Here are my questions now:

1) I will probably use cream color material but what is the best "type" of material (kona cotton, heavier type of decorator fabric, etc?) to use in this process ?

2) I am assuming that you use the old fashion "regular" Crayola crayons ?

3) And I think after you colored the material, you were suppose to put something (freezer paper, shiny side up or down?) over it to heat set it - is this correcct ? And which temperature ?

Thanks for any advice.

KarenSue

I had posted a crayola quilt I started where I used my own bird photos on the quilt. I used regular crayons and used a higher quality muslin, white fabric is so hard to find around me. I pre-washed the fabric.

Chester the bunny 01-08-2013 04:31 PM

Years ago I purchased some Crayola that were specifically marked as Fabric Crayons and were packaged by Dritz. I haven't opened the package to use them yet so not sure if there is a difference between regular Crayolas and these. Has anyone else ever used these? Not sure if the colors would last longer than regular crayons.

Carole

Chester the bunny 01-08-2013 04:34 PM

Here they are

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Crayola-.../dp/B00178JUS2