Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   crazy quillting lampshades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crazy-quillting-lampshades-t147438.html)

carolccharl 08-23-2011 08:15 PM

I saw a cute lampshade in a quilt shop that had a "crazy quilt" look to it, using scraps of fabric, trims, and hanging beads. Has anyone made one or know of any "how-to" instructions?
Thanks,
Carol

crazyforquilting 08-23-2011 08:17 PM

Haven't seen anything like it but sure sounds cute.

Granny Quilter 08-23-2011 08:18 PM

I hope someone has some ideas. My cat, Romeo has ripped my bedroom lampshade, and a crazy quilt ne covering would look good in my room.

jeanau 08-23-2011 08:23 PM

I have made some fabric lampshades over the years, but you need to be careful to use light colored fabrics. Dark fabric cuts down on the light that the lamp gives off. If you are just using the lamp for more of a glow...or night light type of lamp you can use a darker fabric. There are some kits you can buy at Joann's that lets you you cut a pattern that has sticky sides to put against the existing shade and to hold the fabric flush against the shade.

tellabella 08-23-2011 08:25 PM

This is a great idea...I have covered lampshades before with fabric and I don't think it would hard...this is what I would do..
1. Make a template of the shade from paper, then copy the pattern onto the muslin background fabric...
2. Apply your patches, embellishments
3. Attach the crazy quilt cover to the shade..
4. Apply trim etc if necessary...

I used spray adhesive when I made my lamp and it is still intact after years...

Rose L 08-23-2011 08:27 PM

I haven't seen any instructions for one but you should be able to make a cut out of your shade with a muslin and then cut your crazy patches to cover it. Do the stitching and embellishing and then turn under the edges and spray glue it over the old shade. My daughter and I once made some shades that we glued dried pressed flowers to and then covered them with a very thin see through fabric (then name escapes me). We edged them with lace to match. They were awesome when the light shined through them! Good luck!

Tellabella was one step ahead of me, lol!

4dogs 08-23-2011 08:36 PM

that is about the neatest idea I have heard this week and I have got to try it......the lamp on my roll-top desk has this old, awful, ugly shade on it.....now I have the answer about what to do without spending $$$ for it.....thanks so much... I LOVE THIS BOARD..you ladies are womderful!!

BrendaY 08-23-2011 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by carolccharl
I saw a cute lampshade in a quilt shop that had a "crazy quilt" look to it, using scraps of fabric, trims, and hanging beads. Has anyone made one or know of any "how-to" instructions?
Thanks,
Carol

I have 2 lamp shades that are made out of silk flower petals and hanging beads... a local lady makes them and they sell for in the hundreds of dollars...

These pics were taken tonight after dark and really don't do them justice..... I'll post daylight ones tomorrow..

Airwick156 08-23-2011 08:55 PM

Gorgeous Lamp. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

minnow895 08-23-2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by jeanau
I have made some fabric lampshades over the years, but you need to be careful to use light colored fabrics. Dark fabric cuts down on the light that the lamp gives off. If you are just using the lamp for more of a glow...or night light type of lamp you can use a darker fabric. There are some kits you can buy at Joann's that lets you you cut a pattern that has sticky sides to put against the existing shade and to hold the fabric flush against the shade.

i use both dark and light fabrics to make the material more translucent,i brush on decopage than use a spray sealer.
i can than dust the shade or use a damp cloth on them.
maby one f us should do a toturioal sorry about spelling .