Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   CraZy QuiLt QuEstIon.............. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crazy-quilt-question-t184192.html)

Patti Mahoney 03-27-2012 08:00 PM

CraZy QuiLt QuEstIon..............

I'm finished my hand stitched crazy quilt top, made it out of mens neck ties. I'm gathering my threads, buttons, motifs, charms etc etc etc to start the embellishments but I'm not sure which silk ribbon buy. I've never made a crazy quilt before and I'm not sure what to use. I have tons of DMC stranded floss and I'm pricing perle cotton thread, trying to wait for it to go on sale somewhere, but I've never done anything with silk thread. What brand is best to buy??? Thanks so much......Patti

BETTY62 03-27-2012 08:04 PM

Patti, I can't answer your question but your quilt sounds beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the finished item.

Pepita 03-27-2012 09:23 PM

I use silk thread for appliqueing. It is very fine, and I don't think it is appropriate for what you want. However there is silk floss, perhaps that is what you had in mind. There is also silk ribbon, and it would be beautiful on a crazy quilt. There are a number of books out there with silk ribbon flowers, bugs etc. lThat would help you out. For the most part 4mm, 7mm, 1.8mm are the ones offered by Bucilla. There are more I would imagine! Anyway, get a book or take a class, it will give you a much better idea of what you will need. By the way there is also wired silk ribbon such as the kind that Elly Sienk(sorry I can't spell her name!), and these are to make large flowers. Not what you would use on a crazy quilt. Don't forget metalic floss, it would be beautiful.

jemma 03-28-2012 08:45 PM

i have done some silk ribbon embroidery--i used onlt 2 widths 4mm 7mm i stuck to2 pinks 2greens 1 yellow this made a good mix[its expensive++] the tricks are in the special threading of the needle+laying down the threads --its very effective i was very lucky to have a lady [patient++]in my quilting group to sew the basic --so then i could learn from a book it is very different+very effective

Pepita 04-06-2012 09:56 PM

Quickly to use the silk ribbon, you need to iron it first. Use short pieces of the silk, like 12-15 inches. The silk really abrades if you use a very long piece. Most of the stitches that you already know are used in silk ribbon. However you need to lay the silk so it will come out with out wrinkles, etc. When you thread the needle, you anchor the ribbon. To do this you take the last 1/2 inch or so and make a stitch in it. That way it doesn't slip off the needle. I would guess that the library may have some books on silk ribbon embroidery.

ckcowl 04-07-2012 04:10 AM

Visit Evening Star Designs---not only do they offer all of the supplies needed but they also have lots of help, inspiration, recommendations, and all of the flosses, ribbons, embellishements...a great place to spend time if you are (going crazy! ):D
for embellishement stitching i use silk floss, perle cottons, wool floss, velvet floss, watercolors flosses, and some silk ribbon-