Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   criteria to buy a vintage machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/criteria-buy-vintage-machine-t103602.html)

sumcoop 02-27-2011 01:38 PM

I found a vintage machine for $15 but didn't buy it...not a singer but think its a standard...maybe can't remember.
what should i look at before buying?
Should I get it...?
thanks
Susan

Maura 02-27-2011 02:58 PM

Does it work? Get the name and any numbers affixed to it. Once you know the brand and model you can do an online search. As long as you can get replacement parts it may be worth your time.

If you are only going to be quilting on it you only need it to go forward and back so it won't matter if the ruffler is missing. Make sure you have bobbins, though.

butterflywing 02-27-2011 03:14 PM

1. does it work and is the electric wiring in good condition?

2. can you get bobbins (already asked)

3. do you have the space

4. do you really want/need it?

5. can you afford it without doing without something more important?

6. does it have a cabinet or carrying case? ( or will you have to drag it in and out in order to use it?)

if the answer is yes, then get it. if any answer is no, then don't.
if you have a working machine and want another one for backup and can easily afford one and the other answers are yes, then why not? if you already have a backup, then maybe not. you don't sound very excited about it. not everyone is. besides, they show up with some regularity.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-27-2011 03:49 PM

Butterflywing- just take out #4
lolololol :D:D:D

butterflywing 02-27-2011 04:12 PM

:mrgreen:

sumcoop 02-27-2011 05:11 PM

Thanks friends...I don't need it and have never used one that old so don't know if I want it.
Just curious as the opportunity presented itself...I try not to miss great opportunities that knock.
Thank you for your input.
It did have a cabinet...not the original I know...the time periods didn't match.
The wiring didn't look great but didn't dig deeply.
Anyone in the Chattanooga area interested...PM me and I will give you the scoop.

kapatt 02-27-2011 07:54 PM

My criteria is:
1. Do I have room for it?
2. Can I easily buy bobbins and find the right size needles for it?
3. If I am going to use it as an electric machine (not a handcrank or treadle) what do the wires look like?
4. Is it pretty? (I like to have good looking machines around me, not something so scratched up that it will take major work to beautify it.

emmah 02-28-2011 07:54 AM

Make sure the essential parts are there. I just ordered $25 of parts from ebay to outfit a Singer 99 which was missing the needle clamp, slide plate and spool pin. Good news was I only paid $9.00 for the machine, and it looks like it was never ever used! It is in an ugly "blond wood" table which I might get desperate enough to paint.

writerwomen 05-14-2011 06:12 AM

That depends how much you are willing to do to it. Thre are machines in great condition that just need cleaning and oiling all the way to those that need to be stripped down. Take a chance on one and see for youself what your level of skill and interest is in restoration

SewExtremeSeams 06-30-2011 07:02 AM

Susan, I would like to invite you to come visit at the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop. Lostn51 is Billy, the shop owner on this board. There are over 1200 pages. We post photos of our sewing machine finds or purchases, share about all sorts of things and have a lot of fun. You can post your questions/photos and then, as you have time, pour through the pages from page one. Everyone is welcome and there aren't any 'dumb' questions, so ask away. Be careful though... vintage machines can become addictive. The greatest thing though is that you get to see and learn so much history about the world of sewing machines. See you when you get there. :-D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm