Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Curious about Hex's...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/curious-about-hexs-t155945.html)

Patti Mahoney 09-26-2011 07:23 AM

When making a GFG hexagon quilt, how do you measure the hex's? For a 1-inch hexagon, should each side of the hex measure 1-inch? Or, do you measure from the points that are directly across from each other?

Hen3rietta 09-26-2011 07:24 AM

The measurement is the length of a side.

ckcowl 09-26-2011 09:01 AM

if each side measures 1" the finished hexagon will be 1/2"
the measurement is each straight side.

bearisgray 09-26-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
The measurement is the length of a side.

Is is the length of the "finished" side or is it the length of the cut edge?

latebloomerar 09-26-2011 09:07 AM

The sides are 1 inch for 1 inch. Fon's and Porter did them this Saturday. They pieced it together on water soluble stabilizer. They got the flower laid out and glued it to the stabilizer with something and then with it tacked down the zig zagged them together. I think I'm remembering this wrong, I'll have to watch it again and actually pay attention. LOL

I have a bag of hex's that I have put on the little templates and have not put them together. I know that there is a whole school of thought that it was very zen to to piece them together. It was making my eyes strain too much so I quit for a while. I am planning on trying this for mine.

quilter68 09-26-2011 10:10 AM

Try "PAPERPIECES.com" That is where I buy mine. Or Google HEXES and you can print out pages for cutting.

Patti Mahoney 09-26-2011 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
Try "PAPERPIECES.com" That is where I buy mine. Or Google HEXES and you can print out pages for cutting.

I printed my paper pieces off the computer and cut them all out by hand, took a while but what else did I have to do, lololol....I've been working on my quilt for over 2 years and that's just the top, on and off, not steadily. It's about 97% complete, then I have to add batting and quilt. It's been alot of fun, I can't wait until it's finished.

Patti Mahoney 09-26-2011 11:41 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. One thing I did notice is that when I print my hexs off of my computer at home, I have to watch the settings on my printer. Sometimes the hexs print out different sizes. I want to start a 1/2" hexagon quilt when I'm finished the 1"....Yep, I'm a glutton for punishment, lol....Thnaks again!

latebloomerar 09-27-2011 08:39 AM

Make sure you check your printer settings to see if it is trying to shrink to fit. Usually you want to print at 100%.

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
Thanks to everyone who responded. One thing I did notice is that when I print my hexs off of my computer at home, I have to watch the settings on my printer. Sometimes the hexs print out different sizes. I want to start a 1/2" hexagon quilt when I'm finished the 1"....Yep, I'm a glutton for punishment, lol....Thnaks again!