Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Curious - Do you swap blocks and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/curious-do-you-swap-blocks-why-t105792.html)

Hen3rietta 03-07-2011 01:52 PM

Do you swap blocks? and if not, why? My question is one of pure curiosity. - I don't any longer.

When I first started seeking fellow quilters on the web I enthusiastically joined a number of swaps of various sorts: FQ's, charms, friendship stars, 12 months, rowXrow, etc. Now, I find that I'm much less likely to engage in certain kinds of swaps, if any. These are usually the ones that require the use of certain colors or styles (30's repro for example) that change for each participant, or extend over long periods of time (round robins) where you have to rely on the persons preceding you to get your bit out in time. And I've found that with all the block or row swaps I've done, I've yet to assemble a single top from any of them and I'm at a loss to explain why except that none of them move me to want to finish them, even for charity. I donated a number of them to the block orphanage.

After much thought, I've concluded that the annoyance of keeping track of what I send and receive is the primary reason for me, followed closely by picky participants/hostesses who want not only a particular color but a style that I don't have in my stash or a theme fabric that is just not available for one reason or another requiring me to run around trying to find something suitable.

How about the rest of you non-swappers out there?

Diana

raedar63 03-07-2011 01:55 PM

I swap scraps only, I am not good enough at sewing or even cutting acuratly eventhough I have been sewing since I was nine and I am on the downhill side of fourty now lol. Another reason is that the majority of people are difficult to please these days.

Rae

Up North 03-07-2011 01:56 PM

I used to swap alot but being a smoker it was getting difficult ( I know bad habit) I have almost enough for a quilt just need to make one but have two quilts I need to work on before May!!

dsb38327 03-07-2011 02:03 PM

I am happy for those who do enjoy the swaps. I enjoy seeing all the wonderful blocks and quilts. I am not tempted to participate. I believe the first reason is my insecurity of offering/providing something that would live up to the receivers expectations. The second reason is because I like to choose my fabric, decide on the pattern and make my quilt. I think I would feel like it was not my quilt.

CloverPatch 03-07-2011 02:04 PM

I am a Wanna-Be block swapper! I joined this group witht he intent of block swapping, but so far it has been too picky. Must use certain pattern, which I am all for, but then stippulating I must use certain colors, and fabric themes. Feel I am basically just making their quilt, with their blocks with their colors. Not quite what i want. I am keeping my eye out though for a block swap, I can enjoy. Till then I am having fun with the doll swaps and table runner swaps.

Annaquilts 03-07-2011 02:09 PM

I can related to all the points you mentioned plus the cost of shipping is getting to me.

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I am happy for those who do enjoy the swaps. I enjoy seeing all the wonderful blocks and quilts. I am not tempted to participate. I believe the first reason is my insecurity of offering/providing something that would live up to the receivers expectations. The second reason is because I like to choose my fabric, decide on the pattern and make my quilt. I think I would feel like it was not my quilt.

Scissor Queen 03-07-2011 02:12 PM

If I'm going to do a swap I prefer in person swaps. I've done mail swaps and a couple of them were horrid with taking months to get my blocks back and really bad fabrics, etc. The in person ones have gone much better.

Stitchnripper 03-07-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I can related to all the points you mentioned plus the cost of shipping is getting to me.

Originally Posted by dsb38327

I think this sums it up for me, and also, I don't like having deadlines.

IAmCatOwned 03-07-2011 02:12 PM

I swap, but only once in the last year. This is because I MUST reduce my stash and it is rare for my stash to have the requirements for a swap. My own fault really - lots of novelties. The second would be a swap that comes up at a time when I really can't participate because of other obligations or because I simply am not doing well (I am disabled). Sometimes I just get shut out of a swap. I want to participate, but need to find fabric and do the block to see if I can do a reasonable job. Then I go to sign up and it's already closed.

I totally understand the issue of not completing the tops. That's why I always make enough blocks to finish the quilt and select my swap blocks from those. Otherwise, it tends to languish if I have to make more after the swap arrives.

Hen3rietta 03-07-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
I swap, but only once in the last year. This is because I MUST reduce my stash and it is rare for my stash to have the requirements for a swap. My own fault really - lots of novelties.

That was a part of my problem. Buying the right fabric was adding to my stash instead of reducing it with the added indignity of increasing it with fabrics I'm not normally attracted to.

Diana