Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   curvemaster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/curvemaster-t16848.html)

butterflywing 02-22-2009 04:19 PM

i bought a curvemaster at a show not long ago. i have been having trouble with it. or it has been having trouble with me.

when i use it, it works right on the bottom layer but the top layer veers off
so that i end up with a huge seam allowance or none.

is anyone having this problem? i'd like to make it work. or vice-versa.
i think i should be concentrating on the bottom layer right? keeping it against the gauge? what should i be doing with the top layer? i thought it would be taking care of itself. i lift and hold gently. no? should i be steering it?

SandyGail 02-22-2009 05:25 PM

I bought one a few months ago. i did some practive blocks & had no problems. When I tried with my new material, I had problems! It seemed to waste a lot of material & I could not get my pieces even. I gave up & have not tried again. It definitely has a learning curve, and I was so upset about my material I have not wanted to try again. It was not as easy for me as advertized!!
Sandy

butterflywing 02-22-2009 08:21 PM

i guess i have to try it again. thanks for the input.

Margie 02-24-2009 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i bought a curvemaster at a show not long ago. i have been having trouble with it. or it has been having trouble with me.

when i use it, it works right on the bottom layer but the top layer veers off
so that i end up with a huge seam allowance or none.

is anyone having this problem? i'd like to make it work. or vice-versa.
i think i should be concentrating on the bottom layer right? keeping it against the gauge? what should i be doing with the top layer? i thought it would be taking care of itself. i lift and hold gently. no? should i be steering it?

I dont know what a curvemaster is? Would you mnd telling me?

Margie

butterflywing 02-24-2009 11:55 AM

it's a specialty foot made especially for sewing curved pieces (i.e. drunkard's path) to one another. by holding the fabric correctly, the foot does the work of gathering in the convex layer to fit the concave layer without using pins or having to snip.

Margie 02-24-2009 11:59 AM

thank you, sounds wonderful...guess like everything takes practice. I would like to see one.

Margie

butterflywing 02-24-2009 12:03 PM

they are usually demonstrated at shows, and can be purchased at nancy's notions so you can see a picture there.

Lisa 02-24-2009 12:06 PM

I bought one a few years back at the Houston quilt show and I hate to admit it, but I haven't even opened it yet! The demonstration sure looked easy didn't it?

butterflywing 02-24-2009 12:12 PM

sure did! i even got to try it out under her direction. but she's not here now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

julie 02-24-2009 12:36 PM

I know I'm getting old and my mind is going, but when I saw the title of this thread, I thought "Is this a new name for the Thighmaster? Is somebody trying to sell those again?!" LOL :oops: :roll: