Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is the customer "always" right? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/customer-always-right-t209748.html)

quilterlaurie 01-02-2013 03:48 AM

Hi Buckeye Rose

I think if the customer reall wants the brown and tan in the borders you should do it--Buckeye Brutus the mascot is tan and brown and he is always wearing the scarlet and gray-----sooo the colors sort of go in a way---LOL

ctack2 01-02-2013 03:56 AM

Could you make about a 2 foot piece of the border she wants, and a 2 foot piece of the border you suggest and lay the quilt on them. Then she will see how it looks and maybe you can sway her to the RIGHT colors for her quilt. lol.
Carol B

QuiltinMama 01-02-2013 04:45 AM

my husband is a OSU grad.... I have made so many Scarlett and gray quilts . I agree with the others show the customer a mock up ...and then let her know that it is okay to have different quilts for different reasons.. for example OSU quilts are for my hubby and we have other quilts for the bedroom colors and quilts for the living room couch to cuddle etc... all with different colors and they don't have to be color coordinated with the room all the time.
hugs
quiltinmama

twinkie 01-02-2013 04:57 AM

Could you possibly find a print of black with some browns in it and then add the other borders? Just a thought.

be a quilter 01-02-2013 05:17 AM

I would do the mock up and if she still wanted to go with those colors, have her initial and date the mock up. Then, make your label accordingly, showing you as the quilter and her as the designer.

karenpatrick 01-02-2013 05:24 AM

It's her quilt - she can have it any way she wants it. The customer is always right.

sherryl1 01-02-2013 05:28 AM

What is OSU?Oh,I long for the days we wrote words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

117becca 01-02-2013 05:29 AM

I understand your dilemma. I just finished a quilt for a woman who gave me some fabric as a start that I had no idea how I'd make them work together. When I did the mock up, the lady saw the same thing I saw. I also did a mock up w/ what I envisioned and that helped her see the difference.

I think some people can't really visualize the end product and you have to help them see that. Many can't even visualize the stack of fabrics being transformed into the end quilt.

Take pictures of the design board as you put things together to get her approval. Couple it w/ what your vision is and see where she goes. If she sees the projected end quilt, likes it, approves it, then you've done your due diligence and there shouldn't be any surprises.

good luck!

117becca 01-02-2013 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by sherryl1 (Post 5756397)
What is OSU?Oh,I long for the days we wrote words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this case, it stands for THE ;) Ohio State University

MaryAnnMc 01-02-2013 05:46 AM

Hmmmm... could it be done in batiks? There are so many fabrics with multi-colors, you might be able to pull it off without making it look weird. Good luck with this one!