Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting clothes for material (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-clothes-material-t3655.html)

Celeste 12-17-2007 10:39 PM

Does anyone recommend how I should cut up clothes, (shirts, jeans), for their material? Is it worth taking out the seams for the extra material?

Knot Sew 12-18-2007 04:40 AM

same here, I cut jeans off at top of legs and rest along seams, split arms on shirts........I collected some nice plaids :D

mimisharon 12-18-2007 06:05 AM

I cut right along the seams, no picking that stuff out. I do enough of that with making the blocks. ( :oops: ) I think it's worth the effort to give a piece the look of olden days quilting.

You'll know which is the bias and which is straight of grain. You've been at the fabric stuff awhile, right?

Hugs,
Sharon

foxxigrani 12-18-2007 06:42 AM

I cut along the seams too, there is not that much waste compared to the time and work involved. Good luck.

Rita S

nanabirdmo 12-18-2007 08:30 AM

do you think if you picked out the seam that the fabric that is revealed might be a different shade. things fade from everyday use and washing and the seam being protected might look quite different from that which was exposed to wear. just a thought.

SaraSewing 12-18-2007 12:04 PM

That's a good question - to open up the seams. I also agree that I haven't found fabric that valuable, unless I need just a smiggin on one side to make the block piece big enough. But my question on this same line, does anyone have a pattern or photo of using up plaid from mens shirts? I remember a fish block, but nothing else is coming to my mind. I have a stack of shirts from my son, in mostly blue plaids. He needs a quilt (and a wife, if anyone wants to donate one). Sara

Celeste 12-18-2007 07:38 PM

Thanks all!

I have been trying to pick the seams and wondered if it was worth it or not! :mrgreen:

butterfly 12-19-2007 12:22 AM

Celeste,
A while back I made a double wedding ring quilt where I made the first rings it out of clothing worn by all my brothers and sisters, parents and grandparents. On the second ring it was made from clothing of all my hubbys side of the family. It really turned out neat and everyone in the family(s) want one now! It is on our bed and wraps us in love each and every day :) I will try to post a pic soon.
I did this after reading a book about a lady in love with quilting...where it told how quilting began or came about.
I can't remember the book as I checked it out at the library...I will do some researching and find out what book it was :)

kathy 12-19-2007 03:43 AM

I have taken seams out before but never could get them to iron flat they had super folds!

Celeste 12-19-2007 04:04 AM

butterly - What a super way to use clothes! I'll just bet everyone else wants one now! I wonder if they realize the kind of work you put into that? And Please post a photo soon. The books name would be great too.

kathy- I didn't consider that! It makes total sense, though, now that I think on that! The first item I took apart was a 100% wool shirt. I saw something on Simply Quilts (and they just replayed it Tuesday), and had vague ideas about doing something like that. I thought wool is so expensive, I was determined to get all I could out of that. (The shirt was a thrift store find.)