Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-help-t252229.html)

MFord 08-21-2014 05:27 PM

That's awful. I hope you recover soon! Perhaps in a few days your right hand will feel well enough that you can lay it on your ruler and cut with your left hand. You need to put your cutting blade on the other side of your cutter to do this. I would practice on scraps first! I learned how to cut left handed due to the arthritis in my hand making right handed cutting painful-of course, I have arthritis in my left hand, too!

if you don't think you can do this, all I can suggest is what others have said - ask a friend or guild member to help you. So sorry for your shattering experience. I can't help but admire your fortitude in wanting to get back to quilting right away! I would probably have a nervous breakdown, personally!

Golfergal 08-23-2014 03:53 AM

I just purchased a ruler that might be of help to you. It is clear 6" X 27 1/2" long that has a cutter built into it. You use the palm or whole hand to push the cutter up & down. They are on the internet altho I purchased mine at our State Fair from Patrick Lose who had a booth, fabric & patterns there. In fact he cut my fabric with one & sold me on it! I have used mine & believe you would be able to work this ok. The cutter on it is kind of round & easy to use. It has small strip of sandpaper on the back to help it stay in place. It is pricey but I feel I'll get a lot of good out of it. .

lclang 08-23-2014 04:11 AM

If you have a quilting friend now is the time to call. I'm pretty sure any quilt shop would be glad to help in such a situation. Do you have a neighbor who would be willing to help?? That's a real bummer. Hope you get better soon!

GailG 08-23-2014 04:29 AM

I hope that you are beginning to heal and will be all better soon. I also hope that you have found someone to help you with your cutting. I am so sorry that you have had to suffer this horrible experience.

angelarose 08-23-2014 04:32 AM

Prayers for healing coming your way! I'm so sorry for what happened to you. Call your LQS, or a Guild that can help you out. Blessings...

maviskw 08-23-2014 04:42 AM

USE YOUR LEFT HAND! A quilting friend gives classes, and she learned to cut with her left hand in front of her students. I'm trying to learn that, and do it once in a while. It can be done. Just practice on scraps for a while, and go very slowly. You are now a beginner learning all over again.

GOOD LUCK!

653lin 08-23-2014 05:07 AM

First of all, I feel very sorry for what has happened. I also have some concern regarding your desire to start sewing just yet.

What is your doctor's advice on using your hand at this point of your recovery? Resting your hand to let the right thumb heal may be more important right now than quilting. Your future ability to use your thumb as well (and painlessly) as possible is the goal.

There is no quilt deadline that cannot be put off. As much as we love our hobby, the people the quilts are intended for can surely wait a little longer if need be.

institches33 08-23-2014 07:16 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. If there isn't a quilting buddy handy (I would gladly help you, but I'm in Ohio) would you be able to call your local quilt shop? At our local shop there is Tues. morning sewing, Sit and Sew and a UFO day. Certainly there would be a quilter there willing to give you a hand (pun intended).

Also if there is a quilt club or guild in your area I'm sure they would help a temporarily disabled quilter!

Hope your thumb heals quickly.

FroggyinTexas 08-23-2014 08:23 AM

That is terrible! See if you can recruit some help from your Sunday School class or church or a quilt guild. Or maybe you could hire someone who would like to work for an hour or two--check your local employment office. Have you got kids or grandkids nearby? Neighbors kids? If I were there, I would help you and I don't even know you, so I'm sure you have acquaintances that would help. froggyintexas

MargeD 08-23-2014 09:16 AM

My sincerest sympathies for being assaulted, what an awful thing to go through. My only thought would be to work on the project that has already been cut and if possible, do you have a quilting friend who might be able to help you. Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and I hope your arm heals quickly.