Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-mat-t47847.html)

NovisQuilter 05-31-2010 02:58 PM

How long should you use a cutting mat?

cjomomma 05-31-2010 03:11 PM

Good question, I would like to know the answer too. As much as we pay for them they should last forever.

Pam 05-31-2010 03:28 PM

Remember, you paid for 2 sides, if it is getting too battered, turn it over, TA DA new mat!

Kathy N 05-31-2010 04:03 PM

Till you start tripping over the grooves. You can always take a very fine sandpaper to it and get a few extra miles. When one side is done, flip it over and double your usage!

BKrenning 05-31-2010 04:09 PM

When my rotary cutter starts hitting ruts that haven't "healed" themselves.

I cut a bunch of fleece into scarves and finished off both sides of one mat. The fleece gets stuck in the cracks and it can't "heal" even if you're pretty vigilant about rubbing the fuzz off frequently.

quiltingnonie 05-31-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Remember, you paid for 2 sides, if it is getting too battered, turn it over, TA DA new mat!

Hmmm....my mat only has cutting lines on ONE side :thumbup:

quiltingnonie 05-31-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie

Originally Posted by Pam

Hmmm....my mat only has cutting lines on ONE side :thumbup:

I meant:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Linda B 05-31-2010 08:35 PM

About this 'self-healing' -- I haven't seen too much of that on my mats. Am I missing something?

bearisgray 05-31-2010 08:37 PM

I pretty much ignore the lines on my cutting mat and pay more attention to the lines on my rulers.

BKrenning 06-01-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
About this 'self-healing' -- I haven't seen too much of that on my mats. Am I missing something?

I think most mats are "self-healing" but some do a better job than others. My gray mats are harder so they are harder to cut through but eventually the rotary cutter will wear a path in it and it doesn't "heal". The green mats have paths all over them but they're made out of some softer material that kind of mushes itself back together but batting & especially fleece & flannel will get stuck in the groove when cutting and it can't mush itself back together. If I stop & clean the mat off every so often, it lasts longer but fleece is so fine & fuzzy that it gets stuck in the grooves and I can't get it all out which causes a bump in the mat and the rotary cutter skips or swerves when you hit a bump. After you get a few bumps in your mat--you'll quickly be replacing it or turning it over until you can get a replacement.

I don't use the lines on my cutting mats, either unless it's to line up several strips to be cut at one time ala Eleanor Burns. I only use my rulers for measuring & I only use 1 brand of ruler because I found at the hard way what happens when you mix brands.