Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting out quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-out-quilts-t2316.html)

patricej 10-22-2007 01:22 PM

i can make a baby quilt in a day ... if it's something super-super-simple ... and if i don't get distracted by shiny objects ...

ooooooooooooo ... look at the pretty butterfly ........

looooook ... i found my old button tin .....

wonder what's new at the board ...

.... what were we talking about? :?:

Carla P 10-22-2007 02:51 PM

A Quick Quilt only took me 2 months once... :shock: :lol: A Quilt in a Day? Depends on how many hours a "Day" has in it.... 200?? :lol:

Actually, the fastest quilt I ever made was a large twin (not quite full) and the entire top was HST (half-square triangles), half light & half dark, all fall type colors. I used flannel for the back, mid-loft batting, and minimal quilting in the light "squares" formed by the fabric colors, and a real mitered binding. I was able to finish it in a week (had to work) including the weekends (both of them), so I guess that was a Quilt in 9 Days. :lol:

amma 10-22-2007 05:33 PM

There is a book out called 90 minute quilts :lol: 15+ projects that you can do in an afternoon by Mary Ann Butler..... I just don't see me doing any quilt in a day, not alone 90 minutes :lol:

azdesertrat 10-22-2007 05:46 PM

I agree with everyone and what they said,the fastest quilt I ever did was a turning twenty.I absolutely despise putting on bindings,I have two queen size quilts that have been done almost a year waiting for bindings.one I just got back from the long arm quilter, the one that is on my avatar,it turned out so awesome,it needs a binding now also.But I do agree cutting is the worst

Shadow Dancer 10-22-2007 05:50 PM

I agree, I detest the cutting part, love piecing and quilting, even like putting binding on, it means I'm almost done ... :) I look at patterns and the first thing I check is how much cutting is involved...I always seem to pick the ones that require the most cutting.. ugh!! :roll:

jbsstrawberry 10-22-2007 07:24 PM

Cutting does take forever, I've been trying to cut one afternoon, and then sew what I've cut the next afternoon. Unfortunately, my afternoons tend to end up belonging to my mother, or grandaughter a lot. I don't mind the cutting, but like amma, I can only do it for so long before my back and neck start to scream. I have noticed that I'm more productive cutting at the beginning of the week as opposed to the end of the week. Could be because I take my Enbrel injection on Mondays! LOL Speaking of cutting, I need to get back to cutting out these Halloween costumes!!

susan s. 10-23-2007 09:01 AM

amma, that sounds like a plan. You probably will create another quilter in the process.

susan s. 10-23-2007 09:06 AM

CQ I know what you mean. I really love designing, cutting and piecing, but I'm just finishing a small quilt. ( 3 sides left to bind) for my neice. I feel sooo proud.

ShellyQ 10-23-2007 01:19 PM

I've never made a quick quilt, most of mine take years, it's so embarressing :oops: . I enjoy, planning cutting and piecing but the quilting part is my big hang up, when I eventually get to the binding it's like oh Wow :!: I'm nearly there. As for "Quilt in a day" :lol: , that aint never gonna happen for this gal

blahel 10-24-2007 02:25 AM

Quilt in a day..in my dreams. i just finished a wallhanging ( a small one ) and that took me three months!! define a quick quilt to me now that would be under 3 months!! :lol: I have to admit though that i want things to be just right and dont like unpicking..my unpicker is not my friend!! i think and then think some more before i do anything. then i think some more!! all you lovely ladies are just so inspiring with all your quilts that you have posted and it gets me to thinking that i can do that too until i stop to think.....