Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting scraps?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-scraps-t199307.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 09-05-2012 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xtgirl (Post 5484475)
What size is too small to keep and be useful? I've been struggling with the whole not wanting to throw any piece of fabric away and I might be getting too carried away.....

Generally speaking, I think anything smaller than 1-1.5" wide is too small to really be useful.

debbieumphress 09-05-2012 01:10 PM

Gosh, I used to cut up my scraps into my lumber yard....1 x 4, 4 x 4, 2 x 4, etc.
Never failed when I found a project pieces were just out of size so I still put them in large bins and when I see someone needs scraps, I send them a box. And I use them myself for scrappy quilts and such.
I do however, keep 1.5" x wof and 2.5".
Gylene Fitzgerald has awesome pineapple templates and polygon plates for that size.
And 2.5 " well, we know there's always jelly roll quilts to do.
Like everyone's reasoning here.

Becky Crafts 09-05-2012 01:26 PM

I've been putting mine in a bag as is & I'm always going through it looking for just a little piece of this or that & I usually find something I can use! I have lots of fun going through that bag of brightly colored scraps & I'm very protective of them. Almost as protective of them as my stash!! LOL! :-)

GammaLou 09-05-2012 01:39 PM

I don't cut them up, just sort by color. If I cut them, then they may be the wrong size! I like to do paper piece as well as a variety of piece work.

QuiltnLady1 09-05-2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 5484808)
Don't throw anything away (unless it is ridiculously small)! That is an absolute guarantee that you will need it within a month of getting rid of it.
I just learned yesterday how to do reversible QAYG table runners. It's going to make Christmas presents a joy, I can tell you! :)

Oh is this so true -- I gave away a 1/2 yard of focus fabric because I could not find the coordinating fabrics. You guessed it, when cleaning my sewing room I found the coordinating fabrics but now I have no focus fabric (sigh).

deedum 09-05-2012 06:07 PM

I cut a lot of my scraps and created a monster!!! On the other hand, this winter when I need to make a quilt quilt, it will be neat to have alot cut! I cut 10" blocks, 3"x6" blocks, 5",4", 3" blocks. Anything smaller than that I cut a thimble blocks.

Elfi2 09-06-2012 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you've got enough space in your sewing room to keep your scraps, don't throw anything away!!! Anything can be used for something along the way and scrap quilts are beautiful. I even use "crumbs".... sew them all together in any way that takes your fancy and then cut them back into 4 1/2" squares, sew them together either with or without sashing. Good luck!!!

BETTY62 09-06-2012 08:26 PM

I pitch all of mine into a container and do not cut them until I decide to do a project.

Silver Needle 09-07-2012 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think I will be cutting them for scrap quilts. If they are already cut I can just grab some and sew the 4 or 9 patches when I'm in he mood for some less complicated piecing.

sewplease 09-08-2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Elfi2 (Post 5496556)
If you've got enough space in your sewing room to keep your scraps, don't throw anything away!!! Anything can be used for something along the way and scrap quilts are beautiful. I even use "crumbs".... sew them all together in any way that takes your fancy...

Elfi, your crumb quilts are beautiful. I've been saving my crumbs but haven't tried one, yet. Thanks for the inspiration!